Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What reasons could my ex stop me from moving states with our daughter?

Right now my ex and I live about 15 miles apart in Ohio. I am wanting to move back to Ky where I am from. I would be 30ish miles from ex. I work in Ky, I go to school in Ky and my daughter is going to go to a great private school in Ky next year when she starts preschool. It makes sense for us to move. Not to mention all my family and friends are in Ky. When this was brought up to ex he said the only way he would even consider agreeing to it is if I provide all transportation (dropping daughter off and picking her up.) Is this realy fair? Right now we split transportation and thats what I want to continue to do.

Do you think he will be able to stop us from moving? Any advice would realy be appreciated. Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • I feel you should try to work something out or will show your not being fair to your child or the childs father.Also if he files with the courts over this it can prevent you leaving until it is settled and if he wins you may not be able to or have to provide all the costs for him to see his child so be careful what you decide to do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

  • Agree with above poster so i would contact an attorney in your area for help as well to protect all parties best interests.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

  • I don't know about Ohio but this is how it works in Illinois. If the non-custodial parent does not agree to the out of state move, you must go to court and prove to a judge why this is necessary. You would have to present it in a way to the judge as to say, "This is what I HAVE to do", not just what I WANT to do. Then it is up to the judge to decide if it's reasonable and necessary. Also, as far as transportation, (at least IL), you would still both meet at a halfway point.

    Good luck and when all seems bad, remember there are people who have to drive MUCH farther. My daughter sees her father every other weekend (for the last 5 yrs) and he lives 4.5 hours away. So I drive 2.5 hrs just to get to our meeting point every other Friday, 2.5 hrs home and then again on Sunday. That is about 10 hrs spent driving just to get back and forth but in the end it's worth it b/c she needs him in her life. Hope all works out for you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

  • Go to then click on KNOW THE LAWS and find your state to see what you can do. In our state (FL) we only have to tell the bio dad we're leaving the state with the child. You can also call Legal Aid and just ask them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • Since many woman fleeing an abusive husband have to take the children and run sometimes across state lines you might try calling a local domestic violence shelter. I know you didn't say you are being abused but they would know the laws.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.