can anybody tell me why my son is always hungry? he is 4 years old and he was 9lbs 5oz when he was born but he wasn't always hungry like he is now!! i really don't think i should feed him when and what he wants! somebody help me please! thank you!

jaymo19841

Asked by jaymo19841 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe he is going through a growth spurt. I know my girls eat a lot when they are about to go through one.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• depends, is he only asking for snacks and candy or eating everything? If you're giving him fruits, healthy things and he is "eating his greens" then I'd say growing spurt.....if its only picking and chosing then don't let him do that
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• Enjoy the moment because kids change from day to day!! He may not eat again like this for a month or so!! If this continues and you are still worried about it- just give him fruit and healthy snacks:)
    aligon

Answer by aligon at 11:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My son is 4 years old aswell and always starving acording to him, but no matter what I offer him he screams out no followed by I'm hungry for "ice cream, candy, cookies, chips" or whatever else goody comes to his mind.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My son who is 9 is a non stop eater he is skinny and healthy he just has a high metabolism, it only gets worse when he has growth spurts. I switched him to whole wheat breads and cereals and that has helped fill him up but he still is a hungry kid. What i wouldnt give for his metabolism :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• what do you typicaly feed him in a day... how much does he weigh.. how tall is he...
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• The advice I got from my pediatrician (who's also a registered dietician) is to allow my son to have as much fruit, meat, veggies, (i.e. healthy foods) as he wants and limit the junk foods. My son is only 2 1/2 but there are days when he eats non-stop. However, at times it's clearly a control thing. He'll ask for something but not eat it and immediately want something else. When that happens, I get him involved with something else and don't give him additional snacks. I'd just watch what your child is eating to make sure it's healthy.
    Anonymous

• So long as it's mostly healthy stuff and he's a healthy weight I wouldn't be concerned. Try to feed him things that will keep him going like nut butter on whole grain bread, bananas, whole grain crackers with hummus, and so on. If you can get him from a dozen meals a day to half a dozen it'll be better for your sanity and your budget ;-)

He's also old enough to help himself to some extent so you could also fix a snack plate or box in the fridge with veggies, maybe a dip like ranch, some cut up fruit, cubes of cheese, and so on. Keep a box with whole grain crackers, peanut butter filled pretzels or peanut butter crackers, and so on within reach too. Make sure the stuff is all healthy and tell him he can snack on that whenever he's hungry. It'll give him more control plus it cuts out the possibility of him just asking for snacks because he wants attention.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It is probably a growth spurt. Keep snacks healthy, for example: cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• thanks everuone for the helpful tips!!.....and he asks for anything to eat if someones eating he wants to eat what they have or if he goes in the kitchen he'll see something and ask for it. but i do feed him fruits and vegies!!
    jaymo19841

Answer by jaymo19841 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010