Did you have your one-year-old circumcised?

When we were pregnant, we had both decided that we wold have our son circmcised. His paternal grandmother has a bleeding disorder so they woldn't do the circuncision until he was older and had blood tests done. Now that our little man is 17 months old and we know his blood clots just fine, we are having a disagreement about whether or not to have it done. I am dead set against it; our son has had diaper rash on and off since he started teething, I don't want to see him in any more pain under the diaper, not to mention the pain of the surgery it self. His daddy is determined to change my mind - he doesn't want to see him infected when he's old enough to bath himself, knowing that boys get lazy in their personal hygiene! I just wanted any feedback that I can get on similar situations. We will be speaking to doctors and surgeons more or less to stop arguing about it and get professional answers - I wanted to get mommy's opinons

Danamiah

Asked by Danamiah at 11:35 PM on Jan. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is honestly a personal choice for a parent. There are health reasons for doing this, that is true. I don't know what to tell you, I had my son done the day after he was born.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• My son's was done after he was born, if it were me though, I would do it now, instead of waiting until he is old enough to understand what is happening, hopefully if you get it done now, he won't even remember. But it's up to you, you should do what you feel is best for your son.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• DONT DO IT!!!! I don't see why anyone would choose to get their son's circumcised! My son did not have it done, because his Daddy didn't have it done, or anyone else in my husband's family. People make SUCH a big deal out of NOTHING. There isn't going to be any special care needed at all. He just has to make sure he cleans himself just like everyone else. Any guy that went a while without cleaning themselves there would get an infection, girls too! It's just a social standard that has been set in out society recently and i honestly think it's gross. Why would you want to mutilate your child? if someone came up to you and asked if you if they could cut off your arm because everyone else was doing it, would you? don't do it, he'll thank you later.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• It is a very personal choice, and since you and your DH disagree it sounds like you are taking the right steps in asking the doctors and decding together.

I had my sons done right after birth, I honestly let my DH make the final call because afterall i dont have a penis so I felt listening to those who did was a good idea. Even my father who is NOT cut agreed it was a good idea to have it done.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

• I am sorry, but I have heard from a friend who is an uncircumcised guy that he does have issues and wishes it were done as a baby. He said and I know TMI, that it's hard to keep odor in control down there when it's not done. He isn't a dirty guy, but imagine if you had your arms at your sides at all times how gross your armpits would get. He said it was embarassing in the showers during gym and he has had 3 or 4 infections. All of my boys are done. In the end it's up to you and your DH.
    Anonymous

• My boys were both done at 8 days in a traditional Jewish ceremony. I am glad that we were able to do it that way. A friend had to wait with her twins until they were over a year. They had to do it surgically and did just fine. They recovered quickly and were up and wreaking havoc within a day or so.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ok first off it's not a ARM it's a peice of skin that has no real use in life other then hangin out there.I feel for you momma cause you've had to deal with it this long,I have a boy and had his done before we left the hospital mainly because with boys the faster you can get in and get out the better you are when changing a diaper and the extra time needed to clean it is extra time to get pee'd on lol.But I did it mainly because my husband is and later on in life I didnt want my son asking why his looked different then daddy's did and then when he was 13-14 or older wanting to get it done and having to go through and rememeber the pain from having it done.I would do it mainly because he's not going to remember it now.You wait till he can choose he will remember it all. But it's a you and your husband choice,Just know the question may come up later in life as to why his penis looks different and possibly wanting it changed.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• We didn't do it and I wouldn't do it. There are no benefits in having it done and there are tons of complications that people tend to over look in having it done... such as pain, infection, adhesions, having too much skin taken off, having a botched up job leading to life long problems with erections and in your sons case probably a much higher risk of bleeding, even if it looks like he clots well, there is always that chance. And for what? So he can look like his daddy? Or for the many excuses everyone gives... they know a friend of a friend who's cousin had an infection once. Infections in an intact male are not common nor is the intact penis dirty... not any more dirty than a woman's genitals. Have you husband look at it this way... who you go and have your son's tonsils and appendix out at the same time you circ him?? Seems crazy, right? But they too frequently get infected and need need to be taken out...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• cont...
    But you aren't going to surgically remove those parts of the body because of the slim chance they might get infected and cause problems... a much HIGHER risk than having any complications with his intact foreskin.
    The foreskin has a function... it's not just extra skin to hang that and look weird.
    And the argument that a boy needs to look like his daddy... well they BOTH have a penis... it's good enough! The foreskin doesn't alter the way it looks that much and I think if a boy is old enough to ask and notice then they are able to understand when his daddy tells him about why it looks different.
    And if any boys ever make fun of him... all he has to ask is "why are you looking?" Besides an intact male always looks much larger so he can boast to his friends about that too LOL.
    And people also argue about future girls and such.. if a girl thinks there is something wrong with it, then she isn't worth his time!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Join this group... I think they can help you: http://www.cafemom.com/group/13085
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2010