What are some natural ways to induce labor?

I'm 38 weeks, and at my last apt (Jan 12) I was told I'm dilated 3cm, I'm 50% effaced, and my cervix is really soft. I've tried walking like crazy, squats, rocking back and forth, sex, and caster oil but nothing seems to help. I'm asking because i'm military and stationed in Las Vegas, my mother has flown here from Iowa to be with me in the delivery room and I want him to come out while she's here.

I've been told that he's cooked and ready to go and can safely come out at anytime. So I'm asking for a few tips on how to safely make myself go into labor. I don't get on here much so if you choose please email me at b_e_w2006@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for the tips :)

Beanzy22

Asked by Beanzy22 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just leave the baby alone, he'll be here when he's good and ready. Just relax, he'll be here before you know it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i agree w/ anon. baby's not ready and that's why baby's not here yet. nothing will work unless baby is ready.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• eat some chili
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I would just walk or do yoga. I dont think you can do anything except medically intervene unless the baby is ready, but moving your hips may help you dilate, and if anything, that will help make your labor more bearable.

Drinking caster oil is dangerous and you shouldnt do it.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/nipple.html

Nipple Stimulation, It works. It also helps during labor to keep it going so it doesn't stall.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• The average first time mom delivers at 41 weeks.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Nothing will work. Here's the thing - baby initiates the labor process by releasing a hormone. If your baby WERE ready, you'd be in labor, mama. You could still have 4 weeks to gestate before that little baby was fully ready for birth.

All of the natural induction methods can leave you exhausted from contractions that aren't actually doing anything for you.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010