What are some natural ways to induce labor?

I'm 38 weeks, and at my last apt (Jan 12) I was told I'm dilated 3cm, I'm 50% effaced, and my cervix is really soft. I've tried walking like crazy, squats, rocking back and forth, sex, and caster oil but nothing seems to help. I'm asking because i'm military and stationed in Las Vegas, my mother has flown here from Iowa to be with me in the delivery room and I want him to come out while she's here.

I've been told that he's cooked and ready to go and can safely come out at anytime. So I'm asking for a few tips on how to safely make myself go into labor. I don't get on here much so if you choose please email me at

Thanks in advance for the tips :)

Asked by Beanzy22 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just leave the baby alone, he'll be here when he's good and ready. Just relax, he'll be here before you know it.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i agree w/ anon. baby's not ready and that's why baby's not here yet. nothing will work unless baby is ready.

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• eat some chili

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I would just walk or do yoga. I dont think you can do anything except medically intervene unless the baby is ready, but moving your hips may help you dilate, and if anything, that will help make your labor more bearable.

Drinking caster oil is dangerous and you shouldnt do it.

Answer by redderbedder at 1:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

Nipple Stimulation, It works. It also helps during labor to keep it going so it doesn't stall.

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• The average first time mom delivers at 41 weeks.

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Nothing will work. Here's the thing - baby initiates the labor process by releasing a hormone. If your baby WERE ready, you'd be in labor, mama. You could still have 4 weeks to gestate before that little baby was fully ready for birth.

All of the natural induction methods can leave you exhausted from contractions that aren't actually doing anything for you.

Answer by asaffell at 5:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010