Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sister's baby

My sister is pregnant. She has had 2 abortions in the last 3 years, but has decided to continue the pregnancy this time. However she does not want the baby. DH and I do. Can she give me custody of the child on her own, or do we have to involve CPS and other adoption services? Or can we do it amongst ourselves? My sister is very happy to have us keep the baby instead of letting a stranger adopt it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • I believe she can do it on her own you just have to file adoption papers with the court or custody papers, call a lawyer.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • it is a lot easier within the family, or straight up, not going through putting baby up for adoption,i think all you have to do is get certain papers, sign them (both parties) and file them legally. then the process is over, go to the town hall or perhaps a lawyer office, maybe you can google how to get the papers, and what papers would need to be drawn up, i am sure you could also go through an adoption agency for the correct papers.

    Answer by maxxsmommy13 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • Do it legally she sounds unstable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • Aww that's great! Get a lawyer's help though to make sure you do everything properly and do not have problems later on. Congrats!

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • Also make sure that you have all parental rights and she can't come along in 5 years and demand you give her child back, you need to make sure if there is a known father he signs the papers as well so that you are completely covered.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • Get a lawyer who specializes in adoptions if you can find one--family law if you can't. Believe me you will want it in writing!! The father will need to sign his rights away as well. You don't want him coming up in 10 years saying 'that's my child and I want him/her because no one ever told me I was a father"...happens protect yourself from it.

    Discuss with her how you will handle the 'who is my mommy' questions. Will the child ever be told his auntie is his birth mother? Try to plan for every scenario.

    Make sure your adoption is LEGAL..all the way across the board. The last thing you want is problems there.
    Good luck and CONGRATS! :)

    Answer by SimplyLaine at 6:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • I think it is great that you and your husband want to adopt the child, and your sis will allow it. I think you should get it in writing from her- with witnesses signing it. I also think it would be in your best interest to hire lawyer who specializes in adoptions. They would be able to advise you on the process.
    Good luck!

    Answer by MizLee at 11:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • You definitely need a lawyer with a strong background in family law and adoption

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.