How do I encourage my son?

My son is 12 months old and beginning to walk better and better everyday but when he falls down he doesn't know how to get back up. He tries to but can't unless he has something to pull up on. How do I help him learn how to get up? Anything I can encourage him to do that will help?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry. Some babies just have no interest. He can pull himself up, he can creep and he can walk... I wouldn't worry until he hits 18 months or so. He just gets a bit disoriented, nothing to be alarmed with. You are doing just fine!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It really isn't something you can teach. They pretty much just pick it up on their own. Especially if he is just starting to get the hang of walking - that takes a lot of brain power! Once he figures out the walking part, he'll gradually learn the whole standing up part. Give him some time.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• And on another note... Once they START walking... they do NOT stop. SO - no worries. Don't push it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:52 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Leave him alone. When he is ready he will learn that all by himself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2010