What surprised you most about pregnancy, labor, and motherhood?

I know we all had expectations yet it's inevitable that something surprised us along all THREE of these journeys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• pregnancy - that I would actually go full term with the twins. I actually had to be induced.

labor- That my epidural could just stop working, despite having more and more meds pumped in

motherhood- I wasn't prepared for the sleep deprivation, or not "feeling" like a mother right away. I knew that it would be wonderful and rewarding, but I honestly didn't think that it would be this hard. But, again, nothing worth having ever came easy.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• pregnancy- people said i would be miserable, and i really hada great pregnancy
    labor- the whole process sucked, like i was told.
    motherhood-my child always amazes me, and makes me proud of her ;)
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• how easy and natural everything is
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• pregnancy is a lot of work - all you see are the happy joy joy little round bellies bopping around. I was swollen, moody and a walking furnace. but it was fantastic getting to feel a little person moving around inside.

labour - is a lot of work but totally worth every minute. and heck....you're the centre of attention for how long? lol

motherhood - is fun! its constantly challenging and ever changing. especially as they grow older - nothing stays the same and nothing is the same with each kid. my youngest (3) is a totally different 3 than her big sisters were.

I really had no expectations, I was a blank book that I would write as I go along. its not a pretty trip all the time, but its an experience I'm glad I decided to take.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• pregnancy- no one told me i could go 2 weeks overdue. but it was an easy pregnancy(this was my first child)

birth- i did not know it could be so long (18 hours this was my first child)

motherhood- i never knew how much happiness they would bring. or how wonderful it is to see them grow into their own individuality. i wouldn't change it at all
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 4:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• PREGNACY!! HORRIBLE
    LABOR HORRIBLE
    MOTHERHOOD. GREAT AND HORRIBLE!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Pregnancy- how close you feel to your baby when they haven't even been born yet.
    Labor- one, I was surprised when my son came a month early (the week after I quit), my son somehow turned himself around in my tummy within a week and with my fluid leaking, and the emergency c-section. Also, I was surprised at how attached I became right away :)
    Motherhood- once you get used to something, be it eating habits, sleeping habits, etc, it changes. Also, when I start getting sad that my son is growing and leaving one stage, the next one brings another set of joy that I wouldn't have thought of or expected. And finally, how much love you can have for a child...the love I have for my son is more than I could imagine
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 7:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2010