How do I get my child to sleep!

I have an 11 month son and he is still awake and it is going on midnight. His bedtime used to be 9 and then he started going to sleep later and later until it has reached this point now. I guess alot of it has to do with the teething but I am going crazy! It doesn't matter what time he falls asleep either...He will still be awake at 8. We used to have a routine so that he could fall asleep but that soesn't seem to work anymore...I would give him a 4 oz bottle and when he was done with that I gave him his binky and rocked him and sang twinkle twinkle little star. It worked everytime...sometimes it took longer but it worked! Now I have to fight with him until he passes out from exhaution which makes me feel like a bad mommy! I really have no idea what to do please help!

DavidsMom0218

Asked by DavidsMom0218 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you given him anything for the pain? Infant tylenol, Baby Orajel? My daughter is 14 months but has three new teeth coming in....all molars. I give her Infant Tylenol before bed if she seems to be in pain and so far it works wonderfully. The pain might just be too much for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Oh, momma! Don't feel bad. If he is teething, it throws their little world upside down. Just keep snuggling and rocking him. This will pass and he'll be an early sleeper again. My DS (almost 3y/o) does this sometimes if he's had a hectic day and is too wound up to sleep. He used to do it while he was teething. I used Hylands Teething Tablets when I knew it was his teeth bugging him and those would help him sleep, too. Good luck! It'll pass :) I promise!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yeah I give him tylenol when I know its his teeth hurting him and that helps but I guess he has calming issues
    DavidsMom0218

Answer by DavidsMom0218 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• He might need more than 4oz at that age. Try giving more in the bottle maybe.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Try making the bottle bigger and almost hot, but not really. My DD hated cold for her teething fits she wants her milk hot, and that also relaxes and helps them fall asleep, also teething tablets seem to have a relaxant in them because my DD always relaxes after being given them.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2010