Can a 1 year old cover themselves with a blanket?

If my 1 year old son wiggles from under his covers through the night, does he know how to cover himself up if he gets cold?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think so. ...maybe?
    my 4 year old has a hard time covering himself even though he does know how. I would think it would be even more difficult for a one year old.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I dont think so. I dont think they have that kind of coordination or thought process yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yes they can my DD did when she was one and still does, you would be surprised at how hard it is for them to get really cold, and if they are they will fix it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:01 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• well your DD should come over here and teach my DS how to cover himself up! lol. Mine wakes me up so that i will do it for him! little pooper.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• LOL SHe would probably steal his toys and make him cry she is mean like that. LOL SHe is very independent she is 19 months and wont let us brush her teeth, we have to pin her down to get them good, and she has no decided that she can get food from the fridge and milk if she wants even though she can't quite reach.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My son couldn't and would wake often b/c he was cold. I fixed that by buying him the fleece footie pajamas......those kept him warm all night, blanket or not.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My DS is 18 months old and has been covering himself up since he was 10 months old. He now refuses to wear a shirt to bed (one of those baby see, baby do things) because DH doesn't wear a shirt to bed. Both of them are my own personal human heaters as right now we all have to co-sleep because we are living in a camper with only one bed and barely enough room to walk. As soon as we get a house though DS is going in his own room, in his own bed so that DH and I can have some intimate quality time together again.
    Kylanna

Answer by Kylanna at 12:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I think they try but don't always do a good job so I always check on them

Answer by admckenzie at 1:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• p.s. just a note. I think this is the number one reason why so many little ones wake parents up in the middle of the night or some older ones go get in bed with mom and dad where they are cuddled up and warm. That's just my theory, it's not based on any scientific studies.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2010