is my baby okay?

my baby is 2 weeks old...well his dad was taking him outside and the screen door came back and hit him in the head...he said it hit his hand but idk. he cried for just a second. should i take him to the emergency room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd call his doctor instead of asking on here. Being that he didn't cry much, he's probably fine and it scared him more than anything, but being his head, I'd call the doctor to be sure. Look for any red marks or bumps, how the baby is acting, still has normal use of his limbs for his age, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• BTW make sure his soft spot doens't feel swollen either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Did he lose consciousness? Did he vomit? Are his pupils fixed and dilated? If he's acting normal and the answer to those questions is "no", then he's ok. I know it's scary when they're so small, but they are pretty resilient.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Agree with PP. You would be surprised how tough they can be. Relax.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• does your doctor have a number you can reach him at after hours? i'd probably be just as scared as you are. i'd monitor him for a little longer before you decide to bring him in to the ER. like the previous posters said, check his soft spots to make sure they aren't swollen, check for bruises, etc., look for changes in alertness (which can be hard with a 2 week old, but you're mommy and your instincts will tell you if your baby isn't acting right), and vomitting (which can also be hard to differentiate between vomit and spit-up.. ) if you're really worried and aren't sure if he's okay, go ahead and bring him in. better safe than sorry is my motto. but just give your nerves a while to calm down so you can have time to evaluate him. i hope your baby is okay. good luck.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I am sure he is fine just watch him for any odd behavior. If you are really nervous call the on call doctor and ask to be sure.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:00 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• When my daughter was new, I banged her head on an open closet door; I cried longer than she did, she was just fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2010