why has my 11 year old son not grown out of bedwetting? Any other parents with this issue?

My 11 year old son has never had a dry night in his life. We have tried alarms, getting him up at night, and limiting fluids... nothing works, as he simply does not wake up. The doctor said he will outgrow it eventually... but it is really starting to screw up his self-esteem. The fact that he wears Goodnites to bed is his darkest secret... only a couple close friends know, and one teases him. Do you have this issue with your child? How have you dealt with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe it's caused by anxiety. That's usually why kids wet the bed because they're nervous about something or maybe he just has an issue with his urinary tract. Have you talked to him about what's going on with him at school? Ask his pediatrician about it? I mean there are children who wet the bed. Just be supportive.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My husband would kill me if he knew I wrote this, however I am doing it for a good cause. My husband wet the bed till he was 13 years old. The doctors said he had a weak bladder, unfortunately his father made fun of him, ( I guess he didn't know any better.) I think that may have added a little extra pressure. Anyhow, he is now of course a full grown man and can go hours upon hours without going to the bathroom. So I am sure your doctor is correct and it will pass. I would even google it, to maybe see if I could get some other useful ideas. Godd luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• yes, we had this issue. Finally, I got a Dr to listen to me and put my son on seizure meds (Trileptil) and he hasn't had an accident since. Not saying that is your particular issue but it was what we needed. Good Luck I know how is does affect self esteem in kids already challenged with budding puberty.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• what has the dr. done to look for physical problems? have you seen a chiropractor? i know of a family that had this issue with a few of their kids, but the alarm worked for them.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• did ne body in your family wet the bed in there youth. i was informed that it is heridertary. my father wet the bed until he was 15 i wet the bed until i was 17. so im expecting one of my kids 2 do the same. but like some1 esle mentioned it could be anxeity as well. but it will pass just try 2 comfort him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My friends son has this problem. Take your son to a Urologist My friends son has an underdeveloped bladder and is on meds to help with the bedwetting. Most kids that have this issue outgrow it with help sometime during puberty when their bodies finish growing. NO ONE should be teasing him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• This is going to sound completely nuts, but I'm going to share it anyway. My parents took me to a psychologist after 7 years, and he taught me self hypnosis. It may have been a coincidence, but it worked. I would probably try an actual doctor first. There is also a nasal spray that helps with this. Definitely talk to a doctor.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• This is common with boys...I have known lots of boys who wet the bed...the one thing they all had in common, they ALL grew out of it.
    Personally I wouldnt put them on meds for something that is so common and prevailent in boys. You would only be doing it for yourself.
    so sorry that you are a small percentage of mothers that have to go through this...hang in there they do make it to the other side :-)
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 5:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My 8 year old does it too so i know where you are coming from. And like you I have tried everything out there and tell him he's not alone its her deep dark secret too if you find out any advice pass it alone please!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2010