Do you think NOT spanking children is the result as to why they're so violent and out of control now?

I mean we hear on the news just about everyday about bullying, children trying to kill eachother and yet none of this was going on back in the day when it was legal by everyone to spank their children. Atleast there weren't many stories about it, but it just seems like children get away with so much these days and I think it is a result of not being able to spank them as a last result. I know some of you think it's abuse but some kids f-ing deserve a swat or sometimes even worse from what I've seen on the news.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 4:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's time we TAKE PARENTING BACK FROM THE KIDS! I swear they seem to be the ones in control these days. Like those three boys who lit that boy on fire. Why haven't their parents stepped up and given them a good whippin for what they done? Why wait for society to take care of our children? We should be teaching them right from wrong, not the damn cops!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:17 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• No I don't think it is spanking it is just that parents don't care and think their kids are so perfect instead of seeing the world for what it is. If you don't pay attention to your kid's lives then they will do bad things.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:18 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I agree with you truealaska, but if those were my kids I would whip them for what they had done to that boy. OF course if they were my kids they wouldn't even get that far because i would stop it before they even tried.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I think it's because parents let their kids get away with too much. Even little ones. It baffles me the way i hear toddlers talking to their parents in the store sometimes. Yes. they are toddlers and they have attitudes. And they won't always be angles. But it's at THAT age that as parents we are supposed to teach them what is acceptable and what is not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yes, but only a part of it. I think children are no longer taught about respecting their elders, common courtesies, common sense, household rules and are given entirely too much.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:26 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• A lot of it is parents don't care where their children are and who they are hanging out with any more. I don't know if it is the not spanking because I have witnessed plenty of unruly children that are spanked at home and they still get out of sorts. Some of our sons friends had parents that did not care where their children were after school. Even in high school I know exactly where our sons were before, during and after school.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My mother use to give me good whippings with anything she could find (e.g: extension cords, branches, telephone cords) and i remember every one of them. I do not believe in whipping but i do give my daughter a firm spank on her butt if she misbehaves. A police officer encouraged me to do so and said that it was not against the law as long as i do not leave a mark on the skin.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 5:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Over 95% of American parents spank their kids.

Maybe that is not the right question.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yes, I do think that spankings are necessary at times. Not beatings, but spankings. A child should never be spanked out of anger. If done in the right manner, it will be effective. I remember when children could be spanked in school and we didn't have near the discipline problems that we have today.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 7:04 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I think it's ridiculous to look at bad behavior and blame it on one factor like not spanking. It's so narrow minded to think that this one factor is what determines whether or not some kid will be a bully. I could just as easily blame it on some other factor that has changed in the last 30-50 years and you'd tell me the issue has to be more complicated. Like mothers not staying home. Or more exposure to inappropriate TV.

Spanking isn't the only way to discipline a child. I would be more likely to believe that without spanking a lot of parents don't know how to discipline and so they just don't discipline at all. I think kids will turn out fine as long as long as you set boundaries; have consequences for not respecting boundaries; don't give them a sense of entitlement; show them you love and respect them. You don't necessarily have to spank them to achieve those goal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jan. 17, 2010