Is it easy for you to stand up for what you believe in outside of Cafe Mom?

Many of you are very profound in what you believe in and I respect that. I may notn agree with you or even like it but I do respect it. I'm just wondering if you stand up for your convictions when you're having the same discussions with your friends and are you as vocal as you are here?

I'll admit I am not. It's difficult for me to be, but writing it out helps and that's why it's easy for me to do it here. But sometimes I will.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 4:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in About CafeMom

• It depends on the situation, but usually yes I get pretty heated with them because I know they aren't ignorant and should know better. I have a friend that her husband had sex with her aunt, and she just let it go. BTW she walked in on it. She excused them etc, I laid into her about that, and if it gets brought up now I still do. I dont have a lot of in person friends I moved here for DH so left them all in AZ.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ya I do, I have gotten in to many arguments because people IRL are just as ignorant as they are here. IRL even then you arent aloud to think a different way. I dont care what you believe but I hold the same rights to believe what I believe. Even IRL people dont get that.

southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 5:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It depends on the topic. If its abortion, I'll debate that all day out loud (only person I won't debate to though is one of my friends who had an abortion when she was in high school and now regrets it so I won't talk about it if she's around). I guess you can tell I'm ProLife. But, when it comes to issues like breastfeeding, I will just say yeah I breastfed until my DD was 16 months old and I think its the best for her and leave it at that. I don't have 1 single friend who breastfed longer than a month. But, even on here when I voice my opinion I try to be as nice as I can 'cause I don't want other people bitching at me. Debates can be fun, but some women take them too personally. I do understand everyone has their own opinions on everything, so most stuff doesn't bother me 'cause if it doesn't affect me or anything in my life, I don't care how they live or what they believe.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If some one asks me about things, I will tell them. But if they do not ask, I do not volunteer the information.

Answer by louise2 at 6:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I am the same outside of CM as in. At least at CM I can censor and reword. When in person if I say something that comes out differently than what I intended, it is said, and I may have to back track or stumble around to correct it. Here if I take the time to read what I have written I can fix the words to mean more what I intend.

Answer by Bmat at 7:37 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yes, I always stand up for what I believe
    momaof8

Answer by momaof8 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i don't think i am nearly as direct when speaking face to face with someone...but i am passionate about no vaccines, and no drugs...and no dairy. i say this at the gym and at the playground. the other mothers, however, usually are not as defensive, certainly don't come back cursing in capital letters!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Sure is. I don't go out of my way to start things IRL, though. I do try to be nice as possible if I'm talking to someone whether it be here or in real life.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Absolutely. I am a very out-spoken person & if I believe in something strong enough I have no problem with voicing that opinion. However, I do research both sides equally before obtaining my opinion & am open to hearing all sides (whether I agree or not). I never enter a discussion passionately without having the knowledge to back my side up, but I am also not opposed to being open-minded with the opinions of others. I was raised to have strong beliefs in many areas of life, no matter what those beliefs were, as long as I had them & was never afraid to express them. I will be raising my son with the same foundation. In my personal opinion, those who are unable to voice themselves as strongly face to face do not really feal as passionately about that subject as they may push others to believe via the internet.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yes....
    babonwy

Answer by babonwy at 10:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2010