I have been working since I was 17...Now I feel that it is time for me to be a stay at home mom..Kids grow so fast..What are some advantages of being a stay at home mom?

trishbattle

Asked by trishbattle at 6:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• The baby LOL
    I love staying home, I couldnt imagine not seeing everything she does the first time she does it.
    Big plus You get more lovins LOL
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 6:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You get to be there for everything, I was there when my DD pushed up, rolled over, started to crawl, stood up, first steps, all of her teeth, teaching her words and hearing her grow up. I love it so much. I get to be a part of everything new she does, and it is so awesome. I remember when she first crawled I had to wake my husband up and show him it was great. I am so proud to be the one she learns from and turns to when she is scared. There are of course drawbacks but I would take them anyday. You can get isolated, and tired of being around only little ones but as long as you get out and take care of yourself once a week it works. It is soooo amazing if you can do it DO IT. It is such a warm wonderful feeling being there for everything.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Honestly! I loved being home for the first year or two. after that, i could not wait to return to work. Now that i work, I enjoy my children even more when i am with them. Don't mis interpret me, i love being with my kids too but my husband and I do not have any family members to give us breaks by babysitting my kids who have special needs. Work is our break.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 6:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It was a very good time of my life. I loved being so involved in my child's life. I liked being their main source of upbringing, I taught them my values. I provided food and habits that I considered healthy. An advantage is that you don't have to take off work to take care of the child if he gets sick, you don't need the amount of dressy clothes that you'd need for a job, you are your own boss. Disadvantages are, besides the obvious lack of income, insurance, pension, social security, that there is isolation unless you have an active group of friends, that it is your responsibility to teach the child (not necessarily a bad thing), that you aren't around other adults much unless you arrange it or have friends who do, that some people feel that you are unintelligent for being a SAHM.

Answer by Bmat at 7:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• the benefits are huge! you are always there. you are the one raising your child. there is plenty of time for cooking and cleaning (there is also no end to it) i find it is less expensive...you don't need to buy clothes for work, you can do all the cooking yourself, so no need to go out to eat, or get carry out, or buy packaged meals. when you are doing the cooking the food is healthier too! honestly, i don't know how working moms do it! to come home at say 6 pm, get dinner ready...oops does anyone need help w/ homework? oh no, is it boy scouts tonight? i guess its pb&j in the car for dinner! poor working moms must be sooo exhausted! some say that households with 2 working parents compensate for their absence by spoiling their kids. i think that being a sahm you are more in touch with your kids.
    good luck with your decision! like pp poster said, a huge disadvantage could be the isolation.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• no daycare fees to pay
    time with your kids
    a cleaner house
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Knowing that you are raising your child with YOUR values. Otherwise they are raised with the babysitters values.
    Really getting to know your child's personality.
    Being there for all the "firsts".
    Cleaner house??? Not mine!
    Not having to choose between sick kid and work, not being the bad employee because you have to keep missing work.
    Oh--and hubby probably won't understand and will make comments about you not having a job, but it's ok. There are MANY years to work later on! Just try to be a little frugal so you don't make it a hardship.
    thestampinglady

Answer by thestampinglady at 8:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• you get to be the one raising your kids, I've been a sahm for 6 yrs now and I love it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ive been on both sides, I worked outside the home for the first 12 years of being a mother, and stayed at home for the last 6 years. My oldest 3 DD's spent 8 hours everyday in daycare and did all the first with someone else. To me it really felt like I was paying someone else to raise my babies. Now that Im at home I have more time for my children, and a slightly cleaner home. My older DD's know that I will be at every school activity, and Ive seen every first wiht my youngest DD.
    smoore828

Answer by smoore828 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• For me it is having the time to spend time with my girls. If they are messed up I now why and if they turn out great then I can take the credit. I have the time to be there for everything. When we want to go on vacation we only have to worry about my husband's time off. With my oldest just starting school, I am here when she comes home and it is easy to stay on top of school. I can go on school outing easily. When ever my hubby deploys, it isn't so huge because I am here and can pick up the slack, the girls schedules hardly change. And I can easily give them more one on one time while he is gone. We have had to be creative and do some searching to find affordable activities, but without living extravagantly we have been comfortable. But for me it was a huge adjustment personally, not working I felt worthless, it took awhile to realize that was ridiculous.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2010