How do I get my grandchildren to respect me?

I moved in with my daughter and her family in the past year her husband killed himself. The three kids seem to take it out on me because I'm still here and he isn't. They hate to do anything I ask them to do. I'm thier parent they do have to do what I ask. Have any sugguestion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm so sorry for the loss in your family. I'm sure it's a very difficult time with s of changes for everyone and of course the kids don't want anyone to take the place of their faither. In a way your situation is similar to that of a step-parent. So, perhaps you should first talk with your duaghter and clearly define the boundries of what your role in the families is. The grandmother role is usually different than the parent role and maybe you and your daughter could talk about that. Have your daughter be the one to set the discipline standards and then you can support her by reinforcing them - but the children would understand that this comes fro their parent and you're there to help them and your daughter do that. Your daughter needs to make sure the children understand that as well- she needs to show you respect as well. Good luck.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I agree with the previous post. As well as perhaps take some time per child and do some fun stuff with them separately and then together with all of them. Just do what you do best, give lots of love and hugs. Hope this helps as it was meant to.
    Have a great day!:)
    CloudWeaver

Answer by CloudWeaver at 8:48 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Why do you think was the problem that he killed himself?

How old are the kids?

Is you daughter working full time?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• What are your grandkids into? What do they enjoy? What are your hobbies or talents you might be able to teach them?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I feel that your daughter needs to let the kids know that they are to respect your role as grandmother, adult and helper. Every adult is entitled to a level of respect by childeren and so many now a days have lost this understanding, usually because the parent does not reinforce the fact that they should listen to their elders. They need to understand that you are an adult and not a child and they are to treat you as such. Bottom line, it is your daughters responsibility to make her kids listen to adults.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2010