How much prune juice should I give my constipated 13-month-old daughter?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 10:43 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try a jar of strained prunes instead.Some juices have added sugar.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ok, but how much?
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 10:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I think I read somewhere that 2oz at a time is good. Let me see if I can find the info!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Thanks, babe.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 10:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• OK, from: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp ...

Begin with diluted prune juice (with pulp), a tablespoon or two for the six- month-old and as much as eight ounces for the toddler. Try strained prunes or make a prune puree (stew your own or buy commercial), either straight or disguised (mixed with a favorite food), or spread it on a high-fiber cracker.

..and...SHE'S 13 months already??? WOW.

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My daughter's 3 and has constipation problems and I give her Miralax. It's totally safe not addictive in any way and helps loosten stools and soften them. There have been times when my daughter really needed to go and I had to give her a Fleet's Enema to help relieve the immediate pain. Good luck prune juice does help and food that is high in fiber like black beans,whole wheat products,graham crackers,fresh fruits and vegetables. No bananas,too much milk or cheese will do it to.GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If you've recently made the change to whole milk, which I assume you have... it might be the milk that is causing the problems. Talk to her pediatrician about switching to 2% milk instead and cut back the total amount of milk she drinks in a day to about 10-12 oz and have the rest be water.
    It made a HUGE difference with my son... he was terribly constipated when we were on whole milk and no amount of juice or prunes would do anything.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:31 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• We had to use prune juice with my son too. Apple juice used to work for my daughter though. With the prune juice, we started with just two ounces at a time and dilute it with water to make about 4 oz. And as far as the added sugars, just make sure you read the label. I was able to find some that was just pure prune juice. Give about and hour between each serving to give it time to work... maybe even a little longer.. you don't want to give too much and have the opposite problem! lol
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You can try maybe 4 oz of APPLE juice with 4oz of water. ALWAYS dilute it. Do that maybe twice a day for a few days. Also, give her raisins for a snack, just a 1/4 cup or so.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• They just had on tv the other day that both apple juice and prune juice can cramp their stomach. I'd go to the pharmacy and ask for toddler suppositories. Much easier and faster working.
    Anonymous