Is Modern Warfare 2 an MMO? I ask because DH has had issues in the past with video game addiction (everquest)....

...and he hasn't gamed like that in a really long time because it almost destroyed our marriage. He told me this morning that he wants to get Modern Warfare 2 and my heart sank. I googled it but really didn't come up with any answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no, its a first person shooter, fps, but its still a game, so.................................................
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 11:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Im sorry what is a MMO? My husband has the game, he says its alot better than the first modern warfare. So, if he got addicted to that, then he probably will to this one.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• OP here: Massively Multiplayer Online (Role Playing Game, sometimes known as MMORPG). It's basically where you have a group of people you play with, and certain things depend on each character. Which is usually where the addiction comes in because leaving to go back to your real life means letting your friends on the game down, that's what got Dh sucked in to Everquest. Let's take Mario for the opposite example, you can save and quit anytime you please and are not playing with others (unless they are in the same room as you).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• OP here: I just want to cry. Whether its an MMO or not, I know what it could mean. Thanks for the replies ladies, and for being nice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Well im sorry, before we had my child my husband was addicted to it. I know what you will be going through. If push comes to shove just unplug the damn thing, thats what I had to do.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• my dh has mw2. he loves to play online. he plays alot on the weekends drives me nuts. he already beat the whole story libe so now he just plays online
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:46 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• No modern warfare 2 is not a MMO game, but it is a highly addictive game. Like the first modern warefare you play online and there is a massive amount of people who do. You have to make acievements to get new weapons and prestiege, also, you can play the story online with other people. My husband has an xbox360, and he plays call of duty more than any other game. The thing that bothers me most about modern warfare 2 is the amount of trash talk the online players have with eachother, that being said, he doesn't play it around the kids.
    I don't know the level of your husband's gaming addiction, but for me its a relief that my husband plays video games. I have so many friends who complainn about their husbands going to the bar after work and just in general not being home. My husband work 12 to 16 hour days, and when he is not working he is at home. There are worst things he could be doing than sitting in front of the tv.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• my dh used to be REALLY REALY bad about gaming... he was a stay at home dad (even though i needed him to be looking for a job) and it interfered with everything..... Since then, we've had another child, were apart for 3 months, and he finally got his sh*t together and found himself a job... now he tries to keep the gaming to a minimum (mostly at night time), but we do still have problems every now and again...
    it wouldn't hurt to invest in some relationship counseling so that he can understand how you really feel...
    i seriously feel for you...
    (at least he's not out at the bar, or hanging out with other women?)
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 12:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My DH has MW2 and it is a very addicting game. Luckily, I don't care if he plays quite often. he does other things too. He is military and he works hard, so when he comes in on the evenings he doesn't have basketball game or coach the kids soccer team, he plays it after dinner til bed time or til I decide I want to watch a tv show. He doesn't have an issue with turning it off to go to bed though. There have been weekends after particularly hard week that he has played basically all weekend, but I don't mind that as long as its only occasionally and not every weekend. I would just talk to him prior to getting the game because like a PP said, you do have to get certain achievements to get new weapons and prestiege. Let him know that the minute it becomes a problem it will be gone. Make sure he agrees to that before you buy it. That being said, like PP's have said he could be doing worse things to relax.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• OP here: Thanks for all of the input ladies. I'm about to talk to him about it. Just needed to know about it first. When i say he was addicted before, it was so bad that he wouldn't shower for a week or more at a time because it would take time away from the game. It SERIOUSLY contributed to my PPD. And eventually the crap hit the fan. I asked him to compare the amount of time he spends playing to the amount of time he spends with his family. We MIGHT have gotten in 30 minutes in a whole week. He works from home, so he games while he's working, I don't mind that. But this would go on well into the middle of the night, when work had been over for hours. Sometimes I thought I'd rather him be at a bar, at least I'd know he was still alive. No matter what a mans vices are, whether its at a bar or playing games, if it's affecting your relationship, it's not right in my eyes.

Anonymous