how can i change my babys sleeping pattern?

she sleeps all day and up all night ,i try to wake hter through out the day but she is very stubborn, any other techniques?

julie_001

Asked by julie_001 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies aren't stubborn. Stubborn means unreasonable. Babies aren't capable of reason. It just takes time.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• when it's time for bed turn the lights off, and have the house silent at night. If she's awake don't talk to her, don't make eye contact, but just hold her in the dark, and keep trying to put her down after bundling her up, a warm bath and bottle of milk.
    During the day don't bundle her up or make her extra comfortable like you would if you were trying to get her to sleep. Play with her and keep whatever room she is in full of light.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If the weather is nice, take her outside. The sunshine is a natural stimulater. It'll help her brain release "awake" hormones. How old is she? If she's newborn, it may take her a little while to get used to this big noisy world. If she's a few months old, could she be teething or have an ear infection? Sometimes those can throw their sleep patterns totally off.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 12:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• This is normal. Be more active during the day and carry her in a sling/wrao but do not keep her up! That will just create an overtired baby. But don't be quiet during naps...go about normal activity and carry her in a slinng/wrap and/or keep her in the same room with you. At night,swaddle and keep lights low or off and keep activity mellow and muted. The baby will learn the difference, on their own, between day activities and the wind down of night time and adapt their sleep cycle accordingly. Don't force it
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You can't. You just need to be patient.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Very normal. When my kids were little, I would wake them every 3 hours to eat. I would undress them, change their diaper, even wipe their faces with wet washclothes to keep them up long enough to get a full feeding. I tried to keep them up after their feeding as well for a short period of time. At night, I wouldn't wake them and would let them sleep as long as they would. They learned within a few days that days were for playing and nights were for sleeping.

Answer by missanc at 6:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2010