How Do you know when your child has a an ear infection?

My 1 year-old son has been cupping his ear and whining profusely all morning , he also woke up 3 times during the night and it seemed nothing was wrong.

gagesmama86

Asked by gagesmama86 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Health

• My son always holds his ears and pulls on them. Not knowing your kid, just by what you said, I think that he would have one. I dont think there is anything you can give him on your own, so you have to wait and call the doctor.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My mother use to use mineral oil in my ear. Slightly warmed. It makes it feel better but won't cure it. Caster oil is also good to use. If you warm it just make sure its not too hot.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Sounds like he has one. That's what my oldest would do. Take him to the doctor soon so it doesn't get worse. Anti biotics will help him feel better faster too!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I would have him check by a doctor, my eldest daughter always had problems with her ear around the same age, but since she didn't talk, had no fever or any other visual signs of disease, it came and went, I didn't think anything of it . I went on vacation, left the girls with my parents and when I came back, the grandparents told me she had been very crancky. I took her to the Dr. and her ear drum had bursted and she was put in antibiotics, and had tubes put in. She is now 32, and can't hear too well from that ear. So if I were you I would take him. Better be safe than sorry!

Answer by older at 12:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You take them to the doctor. That's how you know. You don't rely on a bunch of people on a website where no one is a doctor.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the child. The only symptom my son had was a very high temp (104-106). No crying, no crabbiness, no pulling on his ears. Just the fever, a trip to the ER at 11pm and antibiotics and Advil.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2010