How do I get rid of eczema?

My daughter has eczema on her face. What can I use to make it less red or to get rid of it entirely? Thanks.

harakal1

Asked by harakal1 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Find the root of the problem. stop using lotions, baby oil, and powder if you use them. use pure aloe to soothe and heal. use vitgin coconut oil to moisturize. raw shea buttr or cocoa butter is also nice. don't over bayhe or use soap too much. use a castille soap like kirks (no dye or pefume) or unscented natural oatmeal soap. swithch to a natural detergent unscented like 7th generation...no fabric softener ot dryer sheets. use 1/4 of the amount of detergent you normally use. use vinegar as softener. i would wash a load of clothes in plain water to see if you get bubbles,,,if so that is detergent residue that can cause flare ups.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My daughter has it severly. It does not just go away, it's chronic dermatitis. There is no "root" of the problem. My mil has it so bad she has to watch what she eats. Use Aveeno oatmeal baths when it's really bad, then use a heavy duty lotion such as Eucerin on the skin right out of the bath the skin is more receptive to it. Don't use cheap lotion. Also don't bath baby every day, it can be very drying. Some of it may dissapear in one area to show in another area. It's better now that she's bigger but she still gets it. If it gets too bad your pediatrician can prescribe benadry and presc. strength hydracortizone cream(use sparingly).
    See if they start scratching it, it won't heal like normal and will develop impentigo(sorry spelled funny!lol). Try neosporin on the really irritated spots too, to avoid infection. Good Luck
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Good info!

Some eczema just won't seem to go away. Sometimes it takes steroid cream or a rx. There was some info out in 2009 about bathing babies in a very dilute bleach water bath, about like swimming pool water.

Eczema can be from a weak immune system. Babies have weak immune systems & that may be why they get it, a reason can't be found, and it doesn't clear up until they get a little older. I have an immune system disorder and I get eczema and it sucks!

I have a 16 mo grandson that was diagnosed with the same immune disorder at 12 mo. He isn't nursing much now and has eczema all over, face to toes. When he was little he may have had little eczema because of his very healthy mom's milk. Breastfed babies get eczema less but some do get it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If  the exzema is really "contact dermatitis" or allergy triggered it does have a root problem and can be remedied. If the exzema is really "atopic dermatities" then that is an inherited condition that needs to be controlled but not likely curable.

The cases of exzema that improve by removing dyes and perfumes and commercial chemicals and don't require aggressive management are likely contact dermatitis. I should know, I get contact dermatitis from chemicals and bug bites and the reaction can be very mild to looking like I've walked in poison ivy. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/whatIs.html

By the way, your baby is a month old? Are you sure its not just baby acne? That will go away on its own, though a little aloe is nice and soothing and promotes healing.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I wrote chronic dermatitis. not contact dermatitis. And it is genetic, but not always, my child my husband and his mother all have it. It started when she was 3 months old with a huge band around her stomach. Eczema is not allergies,changing detergents may help, but I don't think you have eczema. I have been to 8 dematologists all with the same answer. True eczema is usually a life long nuicance. Don't you think that someone who suffers from true eczema would have tried everything by now? My mil can't even eat citrus because it will burn.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding, eliminate dairy
    keep baths short and infrequent
    keep the afflicted areas well moisturized with coconut oil

Answer by rkoloms at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• STeff107 I was making a distinction between true exzema and the skin conditions people call or think is true exzema. It was not a judgment on what you personally have or have not tried.   

OP here is what I was trying to get across: http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/whatIs.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My son had eczema all over his body from 2 months on, and it took me quite a while to figure out what to do about it. I used a lot of coconut oil, but now regret that VERY MUCH, as he developed a life-threatening allergy to coconut afterwards (coconut is a tree nut!). What really helped was daily baths (yes, daily), timed at 3-4 minutes max, soaking him in water (not running water over, like a shower, as that just drains moisture from the skin), followed by barely patting him dry and lots of lotion before his skin was dry. (I used Aveeno until he had to go gluten-free...all Aveeno lotions have oatmeal gluten in them. Now I use Renew from Melaleuca.) This kept it more under control, but what actually made it disappear was going dairy-free myself, since I was breastfeeding. Turns out, my son is extremely allergic to all dairy products! (And all this with no food allergies on either side of the family, so you never know.)
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 6:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• thank you ratviolin!
    dairy is the #1 food allergen/ intolerance!
    i am sorry for the life long sufferers that have never tried changing their diets, b/c they believe that their condition is genetic and not treatable.
    btw, gluten is the #2 food allergen/ intolerance.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• if baby is 1 month old, try to limit bathing, bathe baby maybe once a week if you must, and do so with warm water and a wash cloth, no soap is really needed as it can dry out babys skin and cause irritation, if you MUST use soap, please go with an all natural one that doesnt have any artificial colors, scents, preservatives ect. (you will probably have to spend a bit extra on an organic or specialty brand as J&J will NOT fall into this catagory, they use too much artifical junk in their products).
    No powders or lotions....try olive oil as a moisturizer, just a very little bit rubbed into the skin while its still damp can work wonders.
    Use only a detergent that is free of dyes and fragrances to wash babys clothes and use natural fibers like cotton.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010