Wondering if i am over reacting

My son is 7 years old and in the second grade. He is one of the youngest kids in his class but i feel that he is smart. His teacher all year has been reminding me about the fact that he is one of the youngest and the work just keeps getting harder and harder forhim. I feel like she has put him in a certain category and she is unwilling to see that he is just as capable. He is a child that is very much at his own pace and if he is rushed he tends to shut down. We are doing everything we can here at home to help him out. i have asked him to bring home AR books that are higher than his reading level and he has been doing that and he is doing fine on his testing with them. Now she is wanting to discuss the fact that he is bringing these books home. We went in and talked with her the other day and i thought we had it worked out but now my son is telling me she wants to talk with me again about his choice. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd go talk to her and listen to what she has to say. Try not to get defensive.
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with working on books that challenges him. As long as he isn't shutting down with you its fine. I go to the library and pick out books that will challenge my DD all the time. Perhaps instead of the school books just get library books to have him practice with. That way she doesn't have to know and your child is still challenged to read harder books.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You may "feel" that he is smart, but the teacher has documentation and data to back up her opinions. Go talk to her and see what she has to say.

This:  He is a child that is very much at his own pace and if he is rushed he tends to shut down.  Can be a big problem. Public school has to work with norms and averages. If his pace is slower than the general pace of the class, I can see where she has concerns.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I'm guessing the issue is that if he's bringing home books above his level she's concerned that he's not reading them on his own. It's important that he reads book on his level to himself and has more difficult books read to him.  If your son needs help with more than one word on a page, then the books he's choosing aren't at his independent level. It's important at this stage that he practices with books he can read without assistance.  

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If you suspect that he is gifted, then absolutely get him tested. If there is not a gifted program in the school district, often gifted children are eligible for an IEP. You may also want to look into enrichment programs to keep his brain engaged. This is a great resource for parents: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I wish he were a gifted child. He does fine in school when it comes to his grades. He is a B student. Its the star test that they do to judge where a kid is that is putting him in the spot for possible retention. He is not failing his grade and we don't feel that retaining him is going to do any good. We are doing lots of extra work at home on everything with him. When they tested at the beggining of the year he was a little low, then they tested again about a month into school and he was right where they wanted to see him. When they tested the second time around he was reading books that were above his reading level and his testing went up. He then began bringing home book that were in his reading level and his score went down. This is the reason we asked him to bring home books that were above his reading level. I feel he needs the challenge.
    Anonymous

• The STAR test shouldn't be used to determine retentions, that's ridiculous. They might just be using those scores as an example, but if that's the only problem you need to fight it. If he's making Bs there is now way they should even be considering holding him back. Tell him when he takes the test to whisper it aloud to himself very quietly. Then when he picks the answer, to reread the sentence again with the answer he thinks is right before he clicks to go the next question. I've had kids go up 2 grade levels in one day just by using test taking strategies.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Is he passing the AR tests? Then why does she have a problem?
    Anonymous

• He is passing his AR tests. He usually gets 100% the last one he got an 80. That was only his second 80% of the year. We will probably be going to the school board to fight if that is what she decides needs to that he should be retained. I will keep you posted as to how he does. He is such a good kid and loves school. I just dont want him to get to where he doesn't like school. When their Star test came home at christmas it stated that if they are not at a 2.8 reading level by the end of the year then they can retain them.
    proud2bmom128

Answer by proud2bmom128 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If your son is shutting down ...for whatever reason, then maybe it is a social issue. Maybe he is unable to keep up with what is socially acceptable in his classroom with kids older?
    My son is reading and spelling at 3 grades above his...however he is not capable at being in that higher grade, just makes him a great reader and speller.
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 5:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2010