How is posting with a private profile and an apple or duck avatar any better than posting anon?

I'm not saying everyone who post with a duckie!lol I notice some people who have a non photo avatar set their profile to private, then go to the answers and say just as bad things as some anons can then put the anon down for posting anon. Really, what's different? Cafe mom knows who we all are anyway...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No one really knows anyone unless they have met in person from off of here anyway...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• As long as there's a screen name, you can send a PM if someone pisses you off. Anon just protects you from that. Having a private profile is fine for people who want privacy, I guess, but again, they can still get a PM. I have a coffe avatar pic because I hate all my pictures of me, but I do love coffee. :D
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• op here, lol pnukey! I guess I was just thinking it was funny because they put down others for posting anon yet they feel so anon themselves. So what you are saying is posting anon is just a little less hatemail!lol
    Anonymous

• Your name holds you accountable for your previous posts. Your screen name is the the entire history of what you've done in groups, journals and q&a. It is also your credibility, so say you are someone who goes to the adoption questions and act a total ass to birth mothers, then you try to write a journal whining about how birth mothers are always picking on you, people can see, well there's a reason people pick on you, vs someone else who doesn't have that history may get sympathy.

Anon is keeping a distance between your reputation and your words, so as an anon, someone can go troll the birth mothers or formula feeders or whoever else they don't like, and then write a journal under their name pretending they're the bigger person, wondering why all the other mom's are so mean.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• OP here. I do post anon for complete privacy. Not to be mean to others. I have actually revealed myself to certain people, in order to reach out or connect to that person. I don't believe that I myself am distancing my reputation and my words. I feel like I don't want to set my profile to private because if I invite someone as a friend or want to invite someone to see something about myself, I would like them to be able to access it. But I don't feel as if everyone deserves to look at pictures of my kids or my family just so they can come back and bash me later. I actually used to never post anon until a woman(anon) said she looked at my pics and told me I was fat and my husband was ugly.
    Anonymous

• Like your answer NotPanicking.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I agree with you, there is no difference. There is not even a difference if a person has a picture of themselves on their profile, there is no way to tell if they are real or not. Someone could have just stollen a pic for all we know.
    Anonymous

• Oh OP that is just sad.I have no pictures on my profile for that type of reason.I have gotten some PMs that make me shake my head.Soon as I got the drift I clicked away.Good luck

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• it is pretty much the same to the viewers.. not necessarily right, but oh well
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i post anon too for everything. last time i asked a question about my kid going to bed late, how can i adjust his schedule so that he can go to bed earlier and two women constantly pm me telling me how cps should get involved and that i'm a horrible mother for letting my child stay up so late. Since then, i post anon for everything. People get so uptight, i've seen comments like "oh you hide behind that anon button", but you still dont know who they are even if they dont post anon and put a pic up. so whats the big deal.
    Anonymous