Have you ever had your period twice in a one-month period?

I feel like my body is breaking down. First, starting about 3-4 years ago my period got really heavy. I would go through a box of super tampons and a package of heavy flow pads in one 5 day period.

Then I got pregnant (oh, the heaven of no period) and didn't have to deal for a while. When it came back it was with a vengeance, even heavier than before.

NOW I just had my period 13 days ago and today it's back. And I was thinking it would be lighter, but no...just as bad. I was up every couple of hours last night switching out tampons and pads to avoid making a mess.

I was thinking maybe I'm about to start menopause but my mom didn't start that until her mid 50s (I'm 37). I'm not anemic or anything. I'm considering endometrial ablation to put a stop to it once and for all, if this every 2 week thing continues I will.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 2:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Health

• Ask your doctor about nova sure procedure. It will make it so you don't bleed as bad, if at all! It could also be cysts. I had the same problem.
    Anonymous

• Are you on any kind of birth control... i had a baby 4 months ago and they put me on the depo shot and i had my period for a week than it would quite and start back up the next week, For a whole 2 months. They said its just the birth control setting in
    pennstatemama21

Answer by pennstatemama21 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I had a tubal ligation 18 months ago.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 2:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My mom went through that at your age, she had large fibroids that were the cause of hers. I would go to the doc and see if they will do an ultrasound to see what is going on. I read something recently that said that the trans-vaginal U/S are the best at diagnosing uterine problems.
    I will say that my mom's periods went on for five years like this, very heavy twice a month. Her doc didn't do anything for FIVE years, If your doctor won't listen to you find a new doc. Good luck.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I was the first poster! Sorry I didn't mean to go anon! lol! I had a tubal last year and my periods were terrible. It was definitly even worse after my tubal for sure. That's why I'm getting the novasure done. I know exactly how you feel. The bc was expensive, and made no difference.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• yes but mine was because of the depo shot....and still going
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 2:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Sounds like perimenopause...the period of time before actual menopause that can last up to 5 yrs. it's not uncommon to be going through it at your age, just because your Mom didn't go through it until later doesn't mean it will be the same for you. I'm 46 and just going into the perimenopausal stage, and for 3 months I had 2 periods a month , and it SUCKED, but I've had regular periods for the last 3 months. Ahhh...womanhood, ain't it grand?!
    Anonymous

• My Sis started menopause at age 37 and our Mom didn't start it until age 52.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like estrogen dominance to me. go see your doc and discuss your options. Its not normal to bleed that heavy and if you are done having babies, you have options so you don't have to put up with that. Good luck!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• A hormone imbalence can do this too. If you don't ovulate, this can happen. I have PCOS and I don't ovulate regularly. This happens, and then I could go 3 months without a period, not being pregnant. Not saying that's what you have, but it's worth a trip to the Dr. Any strange thing with your cycle is worth having some blood tests done- even a thyroid issue can cause this.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 3:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010