Do you talk religion at work?

Recently I added some former co-workers to my facebook. It wasn't a big deal but I have a lot of Catholic links and quote the bible on my page. Of course at work I didn't feel the need to talk about my relgion but now I get question about the bible quotes.

It is my facebook I will post what I want. Is it that unreal to keep your religion to yourself at work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I also had one person have nerve to tell me to go to Jesus not the saints. I have enough priest and other Catholics to defend me but why would you get on another person's page and put your beliefs? One former classmate, who is now atheist, deleted me
    Anonymous

• No, Catholics especially seem pretty private about our religious beliefs. I would not change a thing. It's your facebook and they don't have to read it.
    Anonymous

• I don't work now, but when I used to I would talk about it as it came up. I mean everyone knew that the youth group at our church was the center of our life. I wouldn't preach at people. But often times people would come to me for prayer and encouragement.

The students figured out I was Christian by watching how I lived my life. About 3 weeks into the school year there would be a group of 4 kids who would wait after class, and one bold one would timidly ask me if I was a Christian. I would say yes, then they would all smile and say, "see I told you!" and then the rest of the year I would be able to minister and pray for them at lunch and after school.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I won't hide who I am, but I won't force it down someone's throat at work either. If someone wants to be my facebook friend I am not going to censor who I am. They can delete me if they don't like my status updates and all. I don't need more facebook friends : )

What is funny is them giving you a hard time for your religious posts, but most people on facebook have no qualms about posting pictures drunk with their plastic boobies falling out. How professional is that?!!! LOL. But if you post a scripture you are inappropriate.

I don't get facebook sometimes! LOL : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Work is for work, so no I typically did not discuss religion when at work. If I had a co-worker who noted my religion due to something they saw on a social networking site and asked me about it at work, I would answer their question point blank but not get into a in depth discussion about it. As for former classmates deleting you over what you post on a social networking site, I wouldn't let it bother you. They were only a classmate and not necessarily a friend.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I can talk religion at work, though nothing serious has ever happened to me. And if I dont agree, no quarrel. Its never my intention to make anyone feel bad about their beliefs, or vice versa. My MIL and I had a conversation about Jesus one time and we disagreed so, pickiing up on the direction of the conversation, I said..."Well let me ask you a question then if this is....." Ya know, its a respectful way of letting someone know you disagree, but I used my manners at the same time. Its taken me awhile to technique this...lol.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I do not work but I am a quiet person anyway and do not talk much.. yeah hard to tell online. When I did work I didnt say much about my faith in God only because I was young in the faith and extremely painfully shy.
    Cinnamon-mom.. yeah I totally get you. Also I may have a down day and I used to be honest about it and well I lost two friends because they were "sick " of me being "negative". Now I dont talk much on Facebook status unless it is scripture that uplifts and encourages or prayer or just positive stuff. It is sad you cannot be honest with how you feel! People seem to expect you to be so danged perfect and put the bar high up for you to reach and fulfill their expectations.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Maybe they were asking out of geniune curiostiy. They could have felt that the verse or quote touched something in them and they wanted to know more. Just because someone brings up your verses doesn't mean they are being mean about it.

But, I work in a Catholic church and am Catholic and we still don't bring up our believes because everyone feels differently about the same values and doctrines of the church. We talk in general but not how we feel. I try to keep my believes private. I don't push others to believe as I do. I respect others believes and I ask questions to my friends that are not Catholic and they answer me. As long as you ask someone with respect they tend to want to share and answer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't put work people on my facebook on general principle- the religion aspect isn't the only reason, but it is one. There was a girl chased out of my old job because someone saw a pentacle on her myspace. She never wore one at work, she never said a word about it. She didn't even add people from work, but she kept her page visible and some of the resident gossip hounds in her department looked her up. They went so far later as to brag about how miserable they made her until she quit. Same job, since I've left, there have twice been incidents that I've heard about where co-workers ratted people out to supervisors for things they saw on fb (or supervisors using fb to spy on them) and it wasn't about work-related things. I have a few of them on my fb now (they weren't when I worked there) and just from what pops up on their pages I've seen a lot of work drama played out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yeah supervisors use social network cites all the time, even prospective supervisors will look you up to see who you "really" are.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2010