HOW LONG DID YOUR TODDLER STAY IN THE CRIB (AUTISTIC)

Did you put your toddler in a regular toddler bed?? Did he stay in the crib without problems?

momoftwokids547

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if they can climb out its time to move out of the crib so they dont get hurt in the process of climbing out
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• A child can remain in a crib until he/she can climb out. Typically, a child who doesn't climb out will be moved to a bed around 3 yrs old. SInce you child is autistic, talk with your child's teacher on how best to approach this transition. My nephew is also autistic and my sister-in-law often got advice from the school on managing tasks that would be simpler for other kids. You might also want to skip the toddler bed and go directly to a regular bed or mattress on the floor. That will eliminate a transition for your child since change is often tough for kids with autism.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Both of my children have Autism, and neither liked being in the crib. I moved my older one of the crib just before age 2, as my younger son would be needing it, and both of them slept MUCH better once I did (this was before I knew they had Autism (diagnosed at 2 1/2 and 3 years respectively).

Since they both tossed and turned in their sleep, when we moved them out of the crib, we put them in queen sized beds (with head and foot boards, against a wall, and with a mesh side rail to keep them from falling off)--they each have their own bedrooms. When they were about 4 years old, I removed the side rail from their beds.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My son climbed out 2 times and that was probably within 4 mths of each other, but never tried again. So I figured either he forgot how to or it scared him and he didn't want to try again. I am worried about him getting out of the bed and getting into stuff. I child proof his room, but i still worry.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2010