My belly has been grumbling nonstop today. I am 37 weeks today and have had a cold.

This is kinda sick, but I've had a lot of mucus build-up and end up swallowing a lot at night. He's moved not near as much as usual today. But this grumbling has been going on since 8am. I am not hungry. It did it before I ate. Then, I ate a HUGE breakfast and it has just continued. Any ideas? I am starting o panic from his lack of movement. (He's still moving, but not much at all.)

cmcglaun

Asked by cmcglaun at 2:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

Answer by rkoloms at 2:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Just give a call to your obgyn hun, baby sounds JUST perfect...he's moving and there's no cramping or bleeding or anything like that you should be just fine. You're just getting anxious cause you're so close to being done :). The grumbling is probably just an upset tummy...try a tums or two and see if that calms it down. But its always better to just call your obgyn to ease your mind and to let them in on whats going on with you and baby! GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I have been drinking a lot of dairy, but have also been taking a lot of extra strength tums due to terrible heartburn. I'm not sure if it's the mucous making my belly do this. I suppose I'm going to have to call the OB. Everyone tells me I'm full of it, but I woke him up once at 7am on a Saturday when I got the swine flu, and I feel like he has hated me since. So I really didn't want to bug him on a Sunday. Thank you! I wll def cut back on those dairies.
    cmcglaun

Answer by cmcglaun at 3:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010