Could this be something serious... or is it normal?

I am 17 weeks pregnant with twins and for the last few weeks I have been having problems with my hands and arms going numb. It doesn't matter what I'm doing -- sitting, standing, sleeping, driving, anything... my hands and lower arms just get really numb and tingly. It's usually one hand at a time but it just comes on out of nowhere and it gets so bad that it HURTS.... I know that sounds weird... how can they be NUMB and HURTING at the same time? LoL.

Every morning when I wake up both of my hands are so numb that I get a painful throbbing feeling from my finger tips all the way up to my elbows ... and I can shake them around, rub them, do all I can to get the blood flowing and it doesn't seem to help.... at least not right away. It seems like it takes forever for them to get back to normal!

Have any of you had this happen during pregnancy? This is my 3rd pregnancy and I have NEVER experienced this before!

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This is called pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel. (I had this too, but I had a severe tendonitis issue years ago in my wrists, so I expected this) Because your body swells, it's cutting off the circulation to your arms. It's especially bad in the morning because of how you're sleeping. I found my wrist brace helped a lot- you can get braces at the drugstore that keep your wrists straight. Won't fix it totally, but it will help and reduce the numbness and pain. Nothing more you can do- sorry!!!!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 3:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• have you mentioned it to your OB?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• No, I saw him a few days ago and I forgot to mention it! And I thought about calling today but I don't wanna bother him on a Sunday.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• actually I have read that that is normal...I have it now at 33 weeks my legs and hands get really achy and numb...but your so early I'm not too sure. I dont think anything is wrong as much as I would just call tomorrow first thing and ask your obgyn. The emergency symptoms for pregnancy are swelling of the face, bleeding, severe cramping etc.....just try to keep your limbs well circulated like walk around, massage them, keep them propped up at times, sit properly etc for now. GL and congrats on the twins.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i would say normal too babies could just be sitting on a nerve but you are early on so i would call your ob in the morning and just see what they say cant hurt better safe then sorry
    Anonymous

• Yeah I had the same thing at about the same time in my pregnancy. Pregnancy induced carpal tunnel. I agree with musichollie the braces do help. But yes it is a pain.
    MommaD78

Answer by MommaD78 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010