18 year old step daughter refusesto get a job ,any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• If she is out of school stop paying for her.
    Anonymous

• if shes an adult and living in your home she has to contribute or move out
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I agree...try to really show her HOW much of an adult she is now by taking all privileges away from her. No yummy foods or drinks, no shampoo etc, no clothes, no driving her places, etc etc etc. She'll get the hint. BUT I would also get to the bottom of WHY she is refusing to not work. Maybe she is scared or intimidated...perhaps she is confused or mislead. Help her out a little...show her that it can be fun and she can work towards something she loves or work doing something she loves. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Then you need to stop giving her ANY spending money, refuse to buy her new clothes/shoes/accessories, refuse to buy her special foods/snacks--she eats what everyone else eats, or nothing at all, refuse to buy her toiletries and make up, refuse to do her laundry--she can do it herself! MAYBE then she'll step up to the plate, and get a job. She's 18. She's a legal adult--even if she's continuing to act like a child.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• SD also refuses to get drivers liscence.We get tired of being a taxi for her. When she does come she just sits on couch and reads a book or texts which we refuse to pay for.Husband gets mad at me if we don't get along so i pretty much have to give in to her to make husband happy.I hate it when she comes cause husband takes anger out on me from stuff she does .
    holly352

Answer by holly352 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Kick the kid to the curb. She's taking advantage of you.
    Pandapanda

Answer by Pandapanda at 4:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• She's 18 years old now. Tell her she has 2 weeks to get a job, and 2 more to move out.- AND STICK TO IT!
    Anonymous

• If she needs money, she will get a job...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If that was my kid, she'd be pretty bored sitting around doing nothing...no phone, no car, etc. Because I dont believe kids should have their own phones or cars unless they pay or at least HELP pay for them. Who wants to sit in a room all day and do nothing?
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 6:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• take her cell phone, car, and don't take her out to eat. stop buying her clothes and no more entertainment, it's only a matter of time before her friends and boyfriend stop enabling her.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010