How can I get my 3.5 year old to tell me when she has to potty?

My dd will sit on the toilet and will go pee pee and sometimes poopy in the toilet, but she never tells anyone when she has to go. We have to take her every hour. How do we get her to tell us she has to go? She doesn't tell us when she has a pee accident in her underwear either.

Lanasmom06

Asked by Lanasmom06 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• giving my son one m&m every time he took himself to the potty worked for me
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• We give her a sticker and a treat everytime she goes potty on the toilet and she still won't tell us when she has to go.
    Lanasmom06

Answer by Lanasmom06 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• lol. try starting to tell her everytime you have to go
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Could you set up the bathroom so she can go herself and not have to ask? That might encourage her? You'll know when she goes in, so you can follow up and wipe.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Maybe leave her underwear on her - no pullups or diapers at all. And when she does 'accident' - let her sit in it for a minute or two. Also - can you bring her potty into the common area of the house? My son's is in the living room because the bathroom is on the second floor. He does wonderfully going when ever he needs to!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• tell her that every time she feels that she needs to go, to tell you, and she will get a treat!
    it works!!
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 8:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• positive reinforcement!!
    Anonymous