How can i tell if my 3 year old son has ADHD?

My 3 year old is always moving.. he never stops. he moves so much that he is always sayin his legs hurt or his back hurts. me and my aunt both think he has adhd cuz he is so hyper. but i wanna know if its just him bein a kid or if he really has adhd.

djgagurl

Asked by djgagurl at 3:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think he's too young to tell. At 3, what you described can be just typical little boy behavior.
    Anonymous

• i agree, hes too young to decide something like that. sounds like a boy to me, mine have lots of energy
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You can't, that's how.

He's 3 years old and 3 year olds are supposed to be "hyper" and have a lack of impulse control. In order for a child to be diagnosed with ADHD, they must be of age to meet certain age-appropriate expectations, and for a diagnosis of ADHD, those expectations for behavior begin around age 6.

Let your boy be a kid!
    Anonymous

• what does his doctor say?
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 3:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• he's 3
    of course he can't stop moving.
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 3:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• He sounds like a normal three year old. When he is six, you can get a referral to a psychologist who specializes in ADD/ADHD.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I agree he's too young. What activites keep him busy? playing matchbox cars? activity games that involve movement? Kids bowling? Drawing each day or twice a day for relatives - simple drawing time for a little tiny bit of quiet time.....Make sure he lots of physical playtime and at the end of the day each day quiet playtime in tubby and his room.

I was told first grade is the earliest it's good to test for anything.

Public libraries and bookstores have great free programs for kids - you can even make every other activity or so a play play time then a quiet time, a loud play time, then a quieter time if he'll do that.

Hmmm maybe he's bored too and needs structured play in a gym class or music movement class.

Chuckie Cheese playlands are free to enter and cost only to eat or play video games.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a typical 3 year old
    make sure he is not exposed to harmful chemicals www.gogreenwebcast.com/letsgob1
    Anonymous

• He cant be TRULY diagnosed correctly until he's older.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 6:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• There is NO such thing as a 3 year old with ADHD. He just needs to be directed. Let him go outside and run, kick a ball around - AND - Cut OUT ALL of his sugar. There is NOTHING wrong with him - he is a BOY!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010