is it normal for him to leave without the kids weekends?

My son's father goes to his shop 6,7 days a week (because he wants to, not out of necessity, although he says he "needs to", he doesn't get paid more for being there weekends) and expects me to be okay with being here alone with the kids when he is gone. I tell him all the time I need help on the weekends, but he won't stay home and help me. I need time to myself, too - I do home daycare and have children here ALL THE TIME - and would like him to watch our kids at least one day a week for a couple hours so I can re-coop, but I don't think he "gets" it. He says to call his mom to watch them, but I feel it is his responsibility as a father to help take care of them, not his mother's. He doesn't go out and party at night (that I wouldn't stand for) so I don't have that to complain about but feel this isn't right either. We both wanted kids, we should both work together to take care of them. Plus, we never get time together.

KimSanAntonio

Asked by KimSanAntonio at 3:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• well it's not HEALTHY for you to be be with the kids 24/7/7 I mean that is tough! you need a break too!
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 3:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• since its the weekend and he doesnt have to be there anyway, can he take some kids with him?
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• he works in a welding shop cak, not very safe for kids with dangerous tools laying around.
    KimSanAntonio

Answer by KimSanAntonio at 3:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• no it isnt, that wont work. how about setting up a date....even if its for the whole family to go eat or play a board game. ask and arrange it ahead of time so he has to come. i think the 2 of you need a date too
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 3:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• what about getting up early and just leaving that will force him to watch the kids and see how he likes it..
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Many men think kid time is for the females. A lot of them think we actually like it and want it all the time. I think he's right though, call grandma and see if she wants to spend time with the kids so you two can hang together. It would be fun for you both.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I am sorry but no matter what children boys and girls need quality time with each parent. Yes women need a break from their kids to re-coop and so do dads, but if he doesn't even have that one on one time with them during the week then he needs to be a better father and do it over the weekend. Great if he keeps a roof over everyones head, or puts food in the fridge. Its not enough. They need both parents to be role models and bond with both parents. Also at least once a month grandma should take the kids for you both to have a date night or lunch date. Have a litte grown up time. I feel sorry for the children to not have that special time with daddy.
    MsMiranda

Answer by MsMiranda at 8:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2010