Should we put up the baby gate?

About a week ago we moved our son (who will be two in May) into his own bedroom. He sleeps in there in his toddler bed but I am afraid he will start to get up and wander around the house without us knowing about it. I want to put the baby gate up across his doorway but hubby thinks its cruel to lock him in the bedroom. What do you think?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 3:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well ask him about this. When he was in his crib. He was in there for safety. So if you put a gate up he has more room then he did in his crib and you are doing it for safety.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• if you feel safer with the gate there, do it! I used to have a gate in the hallway so that if my son got up, the only room he could go to was our bedroom.
    Anonymous

• i dont think its cruel. i think its a great idea that i am going to have to use when i move my DD into her toddler bed. she is still in a crib for now. she has always slept in her own room/crib, but we moved her room upstairs recently. And the gate is a great idea because although she does pretty good at the stairs now, i would hate for her to fall down them because she got out of bed in the middle of the night or morning before we were up. and Raeann11 brings up a GREAT point and way to explain it to yor hubby.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• We used to have a lock thing on the door knob so he wouldn't get into anything while we were still sleeping. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
    Anonymous

• I have a child proof door handle cover on my dd's bedroom door so she doesn't get out and wander or hurt herself.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If it's a baby gate he can still see out, it's not really "locking" him in his room with a closed door where it's dark and he can't see. I don't see a problem with it. My kids bedrooms were always close enough that if I left my door open I could hear them when they woke up and started moving around, but if I couldn't I would have no problem putting a gate across their door.

Answer by missanc at 7:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• A lot of baby safety items seem to be confused with cruelty by some people. Look at all the harness discussions. Personally, for my child's safety I would put that gate up. A toddler running around the house while you are sleeping can be a very dangerous thing.
    Anonymous

• No problem with that at all! Better to have him safe in his bedroom than running around to possibly get hurt.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2010