Is it possible to lose 30 pounds in 3 months?

My doc has advised me to lose weight so I'm going to take the plunge...as soon as I finish these chocolate raisins!

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 4:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• yes, but not safely.

try that in about double the time, to even a year... when you lose weight you trigger a lot of other responses, and also release A TON of toxins that were stored in fat cells into your bloodstream, it takes a lot for your liver/kidneys to process it. its best taken slowly over a longer period, you'll keep it off if you take it off slower because you take more time to build muscle mass that eats fat and prevents it from piling back on if you have a slip up.

right now i'm a sz 6, but at my heaviest I was a 20w... I've gained, lost, gained, gained some more, lost it, gained, and now finally lost and KEPT it off. it took 2 1/2 years to lose that 100, and took me about 18 months to lose the 60 that I gained this last go round. take it slow and drink lots of water, it will help you to detox.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• The doctors I've talked to say to lose 2-3 lbs a week which would be about right for your goal of 30 in 3 months.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Lose it fast, gain it fast!

I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• rkoloms~ that's exactly how I lost it all. People get in such a hurry to lose the weight and be thin, but forget that there are consequences for losing so quickly, and that its not just a weight loss or diet issue, its a lifestyle adjustment that needs to be made in order to KEEP it off.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• yes. have you seen biggest loser? i watched last night and one of the contestants lost 45 freaking pounds in 2 weeks!!!! but they spend 6 hours a day working out and also dehyrate themselves b4 weigh in. oh FYI jillian michaels said the record weight loss on the show was 100 pounds in 7 weeks
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 4:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Take it from, I used to weigh 300 lbs, It took me 3 yrs. to lose my total weight of 145 lbs.. I did the crash diets, took off 24 lbs in 6 weeks, almost died from it, cause I was starving myself, My advise take it off slowly, What I did, no fried foods, no soda, starting walking 8 miles a day, (started at a mile aday), So please take it off slowly see a nutritionist, I have kept my weight off for 6 yrs now. So you can do it, just do smartly and wisely
    got2boys

Answer by got2boys at 7:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Good luck to you, great choice to change your life stlye
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ha- it's possible, but not a good thing!
    When I first got pregnant and my morning sickness started, I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I'm not stretching the truth one bit, either. My doctor was very concerned- I was in and out of the hospital a few times.
    So, yes, technically, it's possible, but it's really really not a good idea to try to lose that much so fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would focus on eating healthier and change your habits slowly...the biggest loser show irritates me..losing 100 in 7 weeks is dangerous...the results from that show are not typical.Lose it slowly and you will have a higher success of keeping it off.I have lost almost 150 pounds,has taken me almost 2 years.I eat as healthy as possible,I run daily and drink alot of water.I started out by adding more water and each month I added another healthy habit.Also dont deprieve yourself,moderation is the key here.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Yes! If you totally eat natural food and watch your portions and excercize. then yes you can! I mean its only 10 lbs in a month! Try the 30 day shred video people swear by it!
    Anonymous