Hi. I am 12 and a half weeks pregnant and am panicking right now.

I have tried to be so careful about my diet and avoiding any preservatives, etc.. However, I eat lots of raw fruits and veggies (and I mean a lot) and throught my first trimester washed them with AJAX dishsoap prior to eating to remove any pesticide residues etc.. I thought I was doing a good thing since I eat so many and did not want those residues but I just found out that you are most definitely not supposed to do that since fruits and vegetables can absorb the chemicals from these cleansers. I am panicked that I just harmed my baby by unknowingly exposing it to chemicals like ammonium, etc..

ml6464

Asked by ml6464 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Talk with your doctor but don't panic right now.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Congrats on wanted to be safe Sorry to sa there are harmful chemicals all throughout your home.

Be Safe check this out www.gogreenwebcast.com/letsgob1
    Anonymous

• hmm i just was mine with water. and i usually get organic fruits. if your worried about pesticides just go organic.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 5:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• just dont do it anymore, but little baby should be just fine. Do bring it up to your doctor so he/she may reassure you that everything is just fine.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i'm sure you'll be fine... the ingredients in Ajax dish soap are harsh chemicals, yes, but the majority of the dish soap is water, so those chemicals are low in toxicity. if you ate the veggies and fruits pretty much immediately after washing, then i really don't think they could've soaked up as many chemicals as you think...and the antibodies you consume in your food, especially in dairy if you drink milk a lot or eat a lot of cheese, should help shield against the nasties. not to mention, there are women who are alcoholics, smokers, drug users, etc. who are told to SLOWLY wean off of the substances instead of stopping cold turkey -- simply because quitting cold turkey would cause more stress than weaning. so in the first trimester, don't worry too much...stress can cause a miscarriage quicker than dish soap. :) but definately talk to your doctor about it, just to be safe.
    RachelleM1986

Answer by RachelleM1986 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I'm sure you're baby is fine, a little ajax never hurt anyone :-) The stress that you're putting on your body/baby(from your stressing) is worse. Relax and enjoy the ride, it's over WAY too quickly!

Simply use common sense and you'll be A-ok!!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 10:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2010