My daughter is losing more weight...

I did take her in to the pedi and they did tests on her..i get the results back tomorrow. She is down 5 lbs now in a month. She is 3 yrs old. She is still eating a lot. I dont know what is going on. I am worried about getting the test results. Anyone have any ideas. She has been drinking a lot and peeing a lot. saying that her stomach and head hurts her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Drinking a lot and peeing a lot are symptoms of diabetes, which can be managed very well with diet and medicine (insulin, probably). Weight loss can be caused by a lot of other things, too. My son experienced rapid weight loss when he was a year old due to celiac disease (some of his other symptoms were constipation for months beforehand, then extreme diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, weakness). He was eating a lot but it wasn't getting absorbed because his body was attacking and damaging his small intestine, making it impossible to absorb nutrients. After going on a gluten-free diet, everything got better, back to normal growth and health. Try not to worry about the test results, but look at them as getting answers that will give you the solution to your little girl's problems. Once you get the answers, you and the doctor will be able to get her healthy again.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 5:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i have heard of adults (bette midler actually) who caught stomache worms, they consume your food, you lose weight, tummy hurts, idk if it would effect the head pain.... but if i get really hungry - headache. just my first though - weird i know..... those are also diabetes symptoms. best of luch each of you. hope she feels better soon!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• sounds like diabetes. It's very treatable and manageable. Don't panic. I know where you are. My son has a thyroid condition. And was discovered when he was about 5. Don't lose hope.GL.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010