Do you think society plays a role in people getting married?

I from Washington, DC and here alot of people my age are not married. Im 26. They have kids, they stay together for years but they dont get married. I have an aunt who has been with her boyfriend for almost 20 years. They have a son and live together but not married.
When I moved to the south, Atlanta, GA, it just seemed so common for people to be married. Im a teacher and I was like one of a few people who was not married. It was awkward. Even now, alot of my friends there are engaged or getting married.
Im back in DC now and it makes me sad because I really wanna get married. Im a single mom and thats just something I want. Living here I feel like Im never gonna married. I feel like Im gonna be single forever and that scares me.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Absolutely. Society also has an impact on what age people get married. I can't remember who did the study, but I read recently that the culture in the East is to get married older, and it is more normal to live together. Whereas in the South and the West it is more normal to get married younger.
    That is just the way life goes. "Normal" is defined by the culture around you.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• in wyoming where i live ppl get married at 17 is quite common. just because most of them end up pregnant. i am 19 now i got married at 17 and im not pregnant.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 6:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• There's a global picture to this as well. In Italy, they marry and for example in Denmark, it's very common NOT to marry but have a kid out of wedlock. You'll find someone and marry if that's what you want. It takes time but it will happen if it's what you want.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I'll add I believe religion has a lot to do with this.
    jeanclaudia

• When you find the right man tell him you want marriage. You will be fine. Others settle for less. That's their issue not your's.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2010