What can I give my 8 m/o to help her poop?

She has been struggling to go and is in pain when she does go. I have given her prunes, but that doesnt seem to help.

MaximusMommy

Asked by MaximusMommy at 5:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try some Karo syrup. Its dark corn syrup and can be found in the baking aisle.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Go to the pharmacy and get her some infant suppositories. Prune and apples can cramp their belly

Answer by admckenzie at 5:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If prunes don't help, then I'd start looking for the source of the problem. Is she breastfed or formula fed? If she's formula fed, you might want to switch to a different type. If you've recently given her dairy products (like yogurt or cheese), you might want to cut those out.
    My son had horrible constipation from about 8 months to 12 months, and what I later found out was that it was because he has celiac disease, and I had started giving him oatmeal (not good for celiac disease, since it contains gluten) at 7 1/2 months. (The gluten started damaging his small intestine, but I did not realize this was happening until things got really bad at 13 months.) This is probably not the case with your daughter, but this experience has taught me to always try to look for a possible root cause, instead of just trying to deal with symptoms by giving supplements (like prunes, I tried that too, and it didn't work for him either!).
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 5:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• First you should make sure your child is getting enough liquids. Give her lots of opportunities to drink water. Apple juice is also good as apples are lightly laxative in nature. Make sure she gets fruits and vegetables as well as some fiber rich bread or oatmeal. You can also give her a teaspoon of olive oil.

A trick I used on my son for years - and he now uses on himself- seems to work really well . It was taught to me by my friend who does acupressure (same idea as acupuncture but pressure is applied to specific areas rather than needles) Simply massage the point between the thumb and index finger.
    zharptitsa

Answer by zharptitsa at 6:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Water. Insufficient water is a huge cause of constipation.

Look at the rest of her diet:
    ~ is she eating enough fat? At 8mo, a human child should still be getting the bulk of her calories from breastmilk, which has a tremendous amount of fat in it.
    ~ is she eating processed wheat or rice products, like crackers or bread or pablum. At 8mo, she is fully capable of eating real foods and pablums are both binding (cause constipation) and unnecessary --they were introduced when babies were dying of kidney failure and malnutrition as a result of very poor 'formulas' that replaced breastmilk. They're unnecessary entirely for babies eating breastmilk or modern formulas.
    ~ is she eating binding foods, like cheese? Some people find cheese interferes with pooping, and babies are people. Dairy products in general are a problem for lots of people --try eliminating them for a few days and seeing if it helps.

But, really... water.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• We give apple juice. I would call her dr tho and ask since you have already tried prunes
    Good luck I hope she feels better and leaves you one heck of a bomb LOL
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• She is breastfed. I did give her some banana before I thought about it not being a good idea. I just hate to see her in pain. She has just started eating table food and I will be making sure that she gets the fiber rich foods,but I want to make sure that she gets cleared out before I start all the fiber. What will the olive oil do? I think I will try Karo syrup. Thank you!
    MaximusMommy

Answer by MaximusMommy at 6:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I would do NOTHING AT ALL unless when she does poop, it is dry, hard or pellet like. That's when you notify the doc. Karo carries a slight risk of carrying botulism spores (like honey) and is NOT recommended for babies. Their own website even says this. Since she's eating foods, definitely offer water with meals, that should help a bit. Nurse more if possible as breastmilk is a natural laxative.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• First of all babies need fats, olive oil also helps soften the feces and helps it slip out. Any oil would work but olive oil is healthier than most. I would under no circumstances give my child either suppositories or Karo syrup which is corn syrup pure and simple.
    zharptitsa

Answer by zharptitsa at 6:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You can also give her a very soft belly massage. This is a wonderful way to get gasses passed & the whole system moving. I usually do 4 different movements each repeated 16 times. All are done softly and slowly. NO PRESSURE!
    Lay your child down on her back somewhere warm & draft free. Take off any clothes covering her stomach. All movements move clockwise around the bellybutton.
    1:With the flat of your hand (or on small children the flats of your fingers) starting above the bellybutton make circular movements around the belly button x16
    2:Same as above but start on left of belly button and do only a semi-circle ending on right of belly button
    3:Using your knuckles massage VERY gently around the belly button. Do this by GENTLY placing knuckles on the stomach and making small circular motions while slowly moving hand in a large circle around belly button
    4:With flat of your hand/ fingers SOFT stroke her stomach top to bottom
    zharptitsa

Answer by zharptitsa at 6:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2010