How do I know when my son is ready to potty train?

My son will be two in May. How do I know when he is ready to use the potty? And how do I start teaching him?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 5:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are two schools of thought: Training & Learning.

In the Training camp, the use of the toilet is considered a distinct and unnatural ability that has to be 'trained' with the trainer taking charge of the timing and the method. Penelope Leach (Your Baby and Child, Birth to Age Five) points out that this method results in mom being trained to be in charge of whatever happens in the baby's elimination habits.

In the Learning camp, toilet learning is considered a natural progression from total obliviousness to the entire process, through growing awareness of what is happening and onto growing control over what is happening, resulting in a child who is aware of the need long enough in advance to get to the right location in time without stress.

The Learning folks disagree with all the bribery, coercion, force, and shame involved in the Training methods. The Training camp thinks the Learning camp is nuts.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• start taking him in with you and or daddy to show him the potty. get him excited about using is, flushing, washing his hands etc. Use stickers or something little and simple so every time he sits for you or actually pees for you, you can make it more exciting. With my son I have to turn the faucet on just a tad.......we've been trying for a few months then i got that idea and since he's been usin the potty....he's shy lol!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I just started teaching my youngest. she is two as well. I knew she was ready because she can follow simply directions, asked to use the potty, seemed to have limited control, when we put her potty out for her to get used to it, she kept sitting on it and then taking massive amounts of TP to wipe herself. With her I stripped her bottom half, she would say och, owie, so I would take her to the potty. It took a few days for her to figure out if she sat then she would pee. I starting giving her 1 gummy candy when she sat, until she started sitting a lot. now on day 3 or 4 and she is getting it and is able to sit and pee with little effort. But boys have more to maneuver and make work. I am now trying to teach her everywhere has potties and undies are not to be used as a diaper.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010