Piercings and tattoos for kids under 18, what do you think?

I'm not sure if I would let my boys get anything tattooed or pierced before age 16 or 17. And even then, that depends on maturity. But, I got my first tattoo at 13. It was with permission and at a licensed place, so please don't start that must have been seedy and in secret. I got my second tattoo at 15 and my belly button pierced at 12 or 13. My 15 year old sister got her nose pierced at 11 with permission and her belly button done at 13, again with permission. She is getting her eyebrow or lip done soon as well. My parents were pretty lenient when it came to body art, I guess. But, would any of you parents let your young teen get pierced or tattooed?

GothicMommy3

Asked by GothicMommy3 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I am fine with it. My 22yo son was 17 when he got his 1st tattoo (a Star Of David), 7 mos. later hubby & I got our 1st tattoos (Star Of Davids) when we were 38 and 39, a month later our 23yo son (who was then 19) got his 1st tattoo (a Star Of David) and at that time we promised our younger 2 sons (then 15 and 14) that when they turned 16 they could also get Star Of david tattoos (we are Reform Jews). Four months after my 3rd son turned 16 we made arrangements for him to get his tattoo and we decided, at the time, to let our youngest son get his. That was on 12/11/06 and he turned 15 on 12/12/06 so yes, he got his tattoo when he was 14. We got a lot of flack but it was no ones business. We knew that he wouldn't change his mind or regret his decision and we didn't want him to be only one without the same tattoo the rest of us. He's now 18 and had never regretted getting his tattoo the day beforee he turned 15.
    Anonymous

• No way.
    Anonymous

• My parents almost disowned me when I got my eyebrow pierced on my 20th birthday. lol

Personally I would be ok with them getting pierced, but not tattooed. You can take a piercing out if you no longer want it, tattoo removal is painful and expensive.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Piercings are ok... not for my son though... he'll have to wait until he's 18. If I had a daughter, I would let her get more ear piercings when she got into high school but I would not let any of my children get any tattoos before they're 18.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ear piercing yes, other piercings, no. Tattoos, no. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Piercings, possibly depending on where and fro what reasons. For example an ear pierced is no biggie and I MIGHT be convinced to allow a nose piercing or a belly button piercing. Permanent tattoos before 18 are strictly a no. Henna tattoos are permissable.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I have been tattooed and pierced since i was 12. I think i will let my kids when they are around 16 but only something i agree with, and it doesnt look to awful. Piercings are not a big deal to me they come out, yeah the dot from the hole will be there but no big deal. tats as long as my girls understand what they are doing, its in a coverable place and its nice, i will when they are 16 or 17
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 6:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I will probably not allow piercings, since schools are starting to suspend kids for them WTF distraction? oh well, still want to avoid that if I can.

Tatts - If they want one, I want it to be something with meaning to them, not just some random cartoon or symbol because "it's cool" They'll have to explain their reasoning to me and I have to agree before signing the permission form.
    Anonymous

• Tattoo-no. Teens aren't mature enough to decide what kind of body art they are willing to live with for the rest of their lives. It scares me to think there might be kids walking around with "Britney Spears Rules!" tattooed on their bodies...LOLOLOL Besides, as young people we are all too willing to defy authority. I can't imagine being young and getting sleeves or something all over your arms and then maturing (not saying you adults with sleeves aren't mature) and trying to be a serious business professional and then having trouble finding work because of your permanent body art you decided on as a child.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 6:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I have told my children No Way...not until you are old enough to sign for it. And if you still want the tattoo then, it sure better say Mom. : )
    Anonymous