C-section and having more kids?

My husband and I have one beautiful girl, I had to had a c section when we had her, we want a large family.

Will this limit how many kids we can have?
Do the rest of our kids have to be born c section?
Can still have them close together? I want to have them about 2 years apart is this possible or is that too short of a time?
What if I get pregnant unintentionally a couple months after one child is born? will I have to abort? (will only do that if there is a chance of me dieing from the pregnancy)

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 6:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Both my kids are c section and they are a week shy of a year apart... They dont always have to be a c section if they are a good distance apart(atleast what ive been told)
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 6:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• well, I don't recall how many kids ago it was her first csection, but Michelle Duggar has 19 kids and I know more than 1 was csection.

my mom had 2 via csection, I don't think she wanted more than that though. And I was the oops baby, born 1 year after my brother ;)

Anonymous

• Childbirthconnection.or (com?)

They give great information on c-sections. NO you do not have to have another c section!!!! It is your birth and you have it how you want it! Do not back down and let anyone talk you into another one!
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Will this limit how many kids we can have? Shouldn't...but only time/future c sections can really tell.
    Do the rest of our kids have to be born c section? Depends why you had your first c section, but by in large, yes it is currently recommended by ACOG to have subsequent deliveries ceserean.
    Can still have them close together? Sure!
    I want to have them about 2 years apart is this possible or is that too short of a time? Nope :)
    What if I get pregnant unintentionally a couple months after one child is born? will I have to abort? (will only do that if there is a chance of me dieing from the pregnancy) If you were to get PG three months after delivery, that would put you at approx. 12months since previous delivery and should be enough time for you incision to have completely healed...
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• The recommendation is no more than 4 c sections, that being said just because you had a c section doesn't mean that you have to have another one. IT is ridiculous to think that having one means you have to only have them. Get a vbac for the next each time you have a vbac. More than 70% of women who have had a c section can have a successful vbac so it is absurd to not even allow it. If you vbac then the size of your family will not be limited.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You might want to research doctors and midwives in your area who specialize in VBAC care- vaginal birth after cesarean. Even if you opt not to have the vaginal birth, these health care professionals are specialized in post c-section care.

They'll talk with you about birth spacing and things you can do to strengthen your uterus to prevent complications. No one can force you to abort. A good provider will give you the best advice on your health and the baby's health.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• if you can find a doctor/midwife who is willing, they will let you do a vaginal birth after cesarian. the more c-sections you have, the less likely it is you will find a willing care provider. i reccomend a midwife, they are all around better.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You can visit the ICAN website for more information about c sections and vbac statistics. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Just because VBAC is a possibility, doesn't make it a safe option. Of course the less invasive route is always going to be better, but it is not always appropriate. Be sure to discuss your first section thoroughly with your provider and have an understanding on WHY you had a cesarean the first time. That is often a good indicator of the safest route for next time. VBAC or otherwise. I don't think anyone would argue the most important thing in the end is a healthy, living baby and mom. Good luck on all your family planning!
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 6:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It depends on WHY you had a csection in the 1st place. My last pregnancy was delivered csection and I am pregnant again - I asked my dr about a VBAC and they said the decision would be based on why the last delivery ended in a csection. Mine was due to shoulder dystocia with a previous delivery so my OB has recommended no more vaginal deliveries for me.

Answer by missanc at 6:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010