My daughter is 6 weeks old and has only had one poop in the last 24hrs is this ok or should i be worried and call her doctor?

kristylovesyou

Asked by kristylovesyou at 6:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You still have time. Don't call just yet. Try some prune juice. A child doesn't have to poop everyday.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• newborns can actually go a few days without pooping, especially if you are BFing.
    Anonymous

• Is she breastfed? If so then it is normal for BF babies not to poop very often. All three of my boys would hold it in for up to a week. YUCK!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• No need to worry. It's perfectly normal. Especially if she's breast fed. More breast milk gets absorbed into her system and there's very little waste.
    Breast fed babies can go for a good week with no poops.
    As long as she doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort from it, I wouldn't worry. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It is not unusual for breastfed babies to go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• This is OK! As some babies get a little older, their stooling patterns may regulate to less often and more predictable. The important part is that she is stooling regularly...Is this a big change from previous stooling patterns? Did you change what she is eating?
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 6:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Babies should have nothing except breastmilk the first 6 months. No prune juice. Breastmilk is so well digested a baby can go without stools for a couple of days.

Your doctor should have given you handouts or a booklet with reasons to call.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• If he doesn't in the next 24 hours then yes call the doctor unless he is fussy because of it, then you can try rectal stimulation, take a rectal thermometer covered in vaseline and insert it gently and the poop will come pouring out. My DD was on formula at a week old because of a health concern of mine and that stopped her up and we did the stimulus that helped right away.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Well my son was pooping everyday when he was breasfeed the onlt time he didn't go was because I beging to gived him formula so that keep him 3 days with going. I toked him to the doctor and she told me I can gived him 4 onz of water with 2 tesppon os suggar. Firs you put 4 onz of water to boil, then put the 2 tespoon of sugar let cool down and in when is warm you give that when is time for he or she to eat. It work for us 10 minutos later he poop
    matthew0804

Answer by matthew0804 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• What everyone else said but if she is formula fed DEF. bring her to dr. FF babies need to have a bowel movement after EVERY feeding.
    BlazzinBebe88

Answer by BlazzinBebe88 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2010