when is it appropriate to talk to my 11 year old daughter about sex?

candice511

Asked by candice511 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I say know it s good time to talk to her about sex. I would be taking to her about all her changes that will be coming and sex.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Yes, you should have been talking about it before now, kids know a lot more than we are willing to admit and you should be supplying the info so that there isn't any confusion. I plan to start when my kids are 3 or 4 with basics so that they can be protected from molestation and it opens dialogue so that she will trust you with it when it becomes more of an issue.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• a few years ago...they tend to be interested the topic and you don't want her getting her information from someone else. go ahead and start the convo now.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• First I'd talk to her about self esteem and self respect. I'd talk to her about hormones and guys who give lines to girls to get what they want...then move on to their next victim. You can fit sex in there if you want but if she's grounded with high self esteem and won't fall for the bs boys dish out she should be fine. I would talk to her about the consequences of sex such as pregnancy and std's.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You are a little late. She probably already know a lot about sex from her friends. But better late then never. Sit her down tonight and ask her what she knows about sex.

Answer by louise2 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• This is not “a conversation”; this is a series of conversations that start practically from birth, by teaching children the proper names for body parts and their function.
    So, it seems that you have some catching up to do. Always be on the lookout for teachable moments: a pregnant friend or relative, a neighbor with a pregnant pet, etc. Start by asking your daughter what she knows; clear up any misconceptions; keep the conversations at her level.
    It is no longer unusual for girls as young as seven to begin menstruation, due to all of the hormones in conventional meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I THINK NOW IF SHES 11 THE SCHOOL USUALLY STARTS TO TALK TO THEM AT AGE 12 BUT IF YOU RESEARCH THE TOPIC YOU WOULD NOTICE THAT AT AGE 12 A HIGH PERCENTAGE IS HAVING SEX AT THE AGE OF 12 SO I THINK I WOULD START NOW AND EXPALIN THROUGHLY EVERYSINGLE QUESTION SHE HAS AND DONT HESITATE TO ANSWER...
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 7:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You need to start now. Don't worry it will be okay.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• now
    Anonymous

• YOU SHOULD ALREADY BE TALKING. THERE IS ALWAYS THE ONE KID THAT KNOWS EVERYTHING AND HAS REALLY BAD INFORMATION. TALK ABOUT IT MATTER OF FACTLY SO YOUR CHILD WILL FEEL FREE TO COME TO YOU WITH ANY QUESTIONS. GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2010