What is normal for my DD to be touching?

We are currently potty training our 2 year old. I have noticed that she sometimes reaches down her pull-up or panties and touches her vagina and sometimes her anus. When I try to clean her labia with wipes to get ointment or poop off she won't open her legs for me. I am concerned that something might be going on that I am not aware of. Every one she comes in contact with are people I trust so I am wondering if this is just normal behavior of a kid going through potty training.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter likes to dig down there when i change her or she is in the tub and we are not potty training quite yet. she also likes to take her blanky and stuff it down in her crotch. i just ask my pediatrician about it and she said it is normal, just try to encourage her to do it somewhere it private. you don't want to make her think it is bad behavior just something she needs to do away from everyone. i am a sahm so i know she is not in contact with anyone who might be a threat. so i hope that this helps.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 7:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. My DD is with me 24/7 and does all that. She's learning about her body, and finding that she has control over things.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• First of all, don't worry: Children are curious about everything, including their bodies. He just needs a simple lesson in privacy.

At this age, such physical exploration has less to do with sex and more to do with cause and effect: Your toddler has noticed that touching his genitals makes him feel good. (While it's not often discussed, prepubescent children do get pleasurable sensations from touching their genitals, just like everybody else.)

Tell your toddler you understand that what he's doing feels good, but that certain activities are best done in private. Suggest that he wait till he's alone in his room if he feels like touching himself. As an analogy, you can point out how Mommy and Daddy need privacy when they take a shower or use the bathroom. Come up with a simple signal you can use, such as a special code word, to get his attention if he forgets and touches his genitals in public. " babycenter
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• link to that http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-can-i-get-my-toddler-to-stop-touching-his-genitals-in-fr_6834.bc
    Raeann11

• well i know my little girl has probelms with closing up down there and her 1st docter didnt even notice it we switched her docter when she was about 7 or 8 months becouse they was over charging us,but anyway when we took her to see her new doc they looked down there(the other doc never did) and they prescribed 40 dollar estergen cream that u use for menopause. aid i have to watch it until she hits pubirty. look down there and kind of move the sides and if there looks like there is skin growing up its almost see threw
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2010