Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

representing oneself in supreme court for child support

im taking my ex back to court. he was in contempt in september and made an agreement to stay out of jail. he has been violating that agreement since a week after it was signed. i cant afford an attorney so i decided to represent myself. now im pretty nervous. im just trying to hold him responsible to pay child support. hes in arrears 22,000. im not in any trouble so it should be pretty easy sailing for me but who knows. he seems to get away with everything. has anyone represented themselves in court before? any suggestions or pointers?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (8)
  • i think any judge would look at you as a decent parents who needs to money to raise a shared child i know i went through ediation and a lawer was represented to me i won hands down

    Answer by mirit.rose at 8:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • If you were talking custody, maybe lawyer but for CS, unless there are some wierd circumstances I don't nec. see the need.
    Although, why are YOU taking him back to court for not paying and not CSE and I'm comfused what jail has to do with the whole thing.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • hes supposed to pay child support, money towards his arrears, maintain life and medical insurance for the kids and has done none of it. as such, he is in contempt of court and jail is a possible consequence for his willful violation of the agreement. the child support collection unit has suspended his passport, his drivers license and has a lien on his bank account but he is hiding everything in his girlfriends name and is working under the table.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • girl good luck - wish i had advice but i am in the same boad, waiting for the papers with the cort date now - and sooooo not looking forward to it

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • Child support in Supreme Court? I am intrigued. Please send me a link to the case?

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • I'm surprised you don't seek legal aide. They provide them in most courhouses. Does your x have a lawyer? Some times the Judge will suggest inexpensive lawyers for you. Just remember to come prepared and don't say "and" and "um".

    Answer by happynewyorker at 8:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • Sounds to me like he is a deadbeat and instead of fighting for money that you might not ever see.. why not get a 2nd job? Or maybe get a better job so that you can say your doing this all on your own instead of demanding help from someone who is obviously not interested in helping.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • so he should be allowed to just go free and not have any responsibility?!?!? thats crazy. i do work 2 jobs and i am doing it on my own. if he fights to see the kids then im going to fight that he pay for them! maybe more moms should fight and not just roll over so the deadbeats are not held responsible. then they wouldnt be deadbeats would they?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.