Montessori School?

Do any of you send your child to a montessori school? Is it really any different than a regular preschool or dayschool? I know what the method of montessori school is and i've googled about it but i've never been in one or met anyone who has taken their child. I am considering registering my 4 year old for it because its about the same price here as to send him to any other dayschool or preschool program.

Thanks ladies!

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and we studied BOTH traditional and Montessori schools along with doing work in both.

I LOVED the Montessori school! They teach a lot more independence and self sufficiency which will be soooo helpful in school.

If they are both available and around the same price..I would choose the Monessori! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I do have to agree with the anon....in a way....

I would explain the school as a very "idealistic" type of atmosphere...the way school would be in the movies or something...know what I mean?

I do like some of their ideas though....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I sent my son to a Montessori school for kindergarten and 1st grade primarily because he liked a wide variety of areas but wouldn't focus long. Also, public school wouldn't allow me to enroll him because he was born in October. I enjoyed him not being stuck to a particular curriculum and I had done my best in getting him school ready. I don't remember what made me withdraw him and place him in a different private school. I do remember that at the next school, class size was limited and each child learned according to his level.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My daughter was in a Montessori based school for kindergarten and first grade. She is a kid who needs more structure, and did much better in a highly structured and competitive, academically based program.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I taught Montessori preschool for three yrs. It is very structured. Those schools are usually very very ethnically diverse. A Montessori school is acedemically based school, with very specific ideas and "tools" for learning at ones own pace. They are quiet well organized schools. I think the only thing they lack is a bit more laid back time. But I suppose they can get that outside of school. I think Maria Montessori had a very good philosophy. In Italy, the very young and the very old are their most prized possessions. They believe that how their very young and very old are treated defines them as a society. I don't think it is the best environment for ADD children, but each child is different and an ADD child may do very well in such an invironment. It is up to the parents to decide if those schools are a good fit for their children.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My oldest attended both a Montessori preschool and a traditional preschool and it was like night and day. At the Montessori preschool it was just assumed that the children were competent and intelligent little human beings and they were treated that way and so they acted that way too - they lived up to their expectation. It wasn't that they pushed them, they just let them try and lo and behold the kids could do it and liked doing things themselves too. The entire curriculum is centered around this idea - children as competent beings who just need an environment that gives them a chance to be all they can be. The traditional preschool was totally the opposite. Everything was plastic and childproofed and fake and the kids mostly just played all day (which frankly my kids do all day at home - why would I pay for that?).
    Anonymous