I've suddenly become scared of marriage...

I see people around me getting married so young and end up not being happy. I've always been the type to get serious quick and talk about marriage (i know..not such a good thing) Well my boyfriend and I are pretty serious...we really want to get married. But not anytime soon because of other reasons. But lately I've suddenly been getting scared. I dont know if it's because I'm young (almost 21) and want to date around. Maybe there is someone else that is truly the one for me out there.
Has anyone else felt this way too? Did you end it with your man or get married? And if so, are you happy? Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm not a big advocate of marriage. I tried it three times. I just couldn't find the owner's manual to figure out how to make it work. I'm much happier single.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Sounds to me like your having serious doudts, consider them!!!! You will know when it is the right thing to do, you know who you will want to spend the rest of your life! Take your time, there is no rush your still very young!
    Anonymous

• If you are already asking questions to whether if he may not be the one, then I strongly suggest re-evaluating this before you go any further in the relationship. I've been with dh since we were both 15 and we are now 30. There were gaps in our relationship because we both felt we needed to make sure we were doing the right thing being together. Dh first proposed when we were 19 and while we knew it would happen along the road sometime, we needed to experience other people. I think that when you know, you know, and it seems that you are either forcing this by way of habit (per you saying you get serious quick) and that maybe you feel a sense of urgency because others around you are already married or headed down the aisle. Do you know for sure he's it for you?
    RyleighsMoM3505

Answer by RyleighsMoM3505 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Hi OP here...well, we have a long distance relationship. At times, I feel that he IS the one. But when I'm away from him I get wishy washy. Its hard not having the physical side of a relationship (not meaning sex) and I just doubt it sometimes. Im not sure if that's normal in a long distance relationship or if it's my heart telling me something..
    Anonymous

• One thing. I have learned is, If your mind & heart do not agree with each-other....
    BELIEVE, your mind !!!!
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We just celebrated 10 years together, not married:)
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I tried it once, my BF tried it twice. We are both scared as hell of it because we were both burned so badly. We don't think it will end up bad with us but I think we are both too afraid to push the envelope. I might know two couples who were a first marriage and stayed together, but I have known more who never got married and have stayed together longer or until death.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 4:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010