Surgical Tech vs. Medical Assistant

I'm trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. I know I want to work in the medical field. I'd LIKE to be a NICU nurse or maternity ward nurse, but sadly, my blessing is my curse...I'm FAR to empathetic. I really don't think I could keep it professional. I think I'd cry my eyes out every time I had to deal with a baby dying or something like that. Then I thought about being an ultrasound tech, but I couldn't tell a woman that her child doesn't have a heartbeat (every miscarriage or NICU baby would be mine babies. I've had 3 miscarriages and my twins were in the NICU).

So, I figured Medical Assisting would be safe. Then, while watching a C-Section video in another post, I thought how cool it would be to work in the OR, so I thought about maybe going for Surgical technology.

Anyone have either of these jobs?

that_1_mommy

Asked by that_1_mommy at 9:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well I would recommend going for the nursing, there are many different settings you can work in as a nurse the same as a medical assistant and you would make much much more money. I went to school to be a medical assistant worked in a doctors office for about a year and now I am out of a job because it is soooooo competive because so many people are going to be medical assistants. At the most I only made 10 dollars an hour!!! I couldnt find another job so I went back to school to become a nurse! I dont know much about surg tech....
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• sergical tech will be a lot more money than ma
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Base your decision on which will get you a job.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• MA dont really get jobs anymore, I talked to 2 people who went to school for it and its already an outdated position.

Best of luck.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2010