What really works for you/.. I really need to know!

What kind of birth control works for you. What are the pros and cons of what your on. I need to get back on birth control and need advice on what to get.

P.S. I appreciate all the advice but I am not looking for any NFP tips. I was doing NFP for several months and have decided I want to get back on birth control.

Thank you!

wilesmomma

Asked by wilesmomma at 9:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I have been on Depo Pervera (the shot) a little less than 6 years. I have not had any problems, except for now I want to have a baby by the end of the year but I am having trouble getting pregnant because it can take up to 18 months to get it all out of your system! While on the shot you dont have a period, the first year on it you might have break threw bleed like a light shit period. You go every 12 weeks and get the shot, dont have to worry about taking a pill or anything like that! The cost is even cheaper than regular bp with out insurance I was paying 38 dollars every 12 weeks where as my SIL is paying 33 dollars a month for her bc
    Anonymous

• I was on the depo shot for about 5 years and when i fianllay stoped it took 2 years to get pregnant. now we just use the pull out method and condoms.
    Anonymous

• also, depo makes you gain alot of weight!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• yes im on depo have been since my now 19 month old was born,i breastfed her up until she was 16 months,2 weeks later i got my 1st period and its been messed up every since, i have gained 15 pounds on it and it has made me moody as ever. think about geting the merina or implaon or even the patch i used that too befor.its a patch u change every week and the 4th week u dont put one on
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I'm on YAZ but I also have other issues, not just wanting BC. It's not for everyone.

The pill is a bit annoying though, you are supposed to take it at the same time everyday and honestly, when you have kids who remembers to do something at the exact same time every day?

For me though, condoms have always been the most reassuring form of BC. You know when those mess up! I was laughing at the morning after pill commercial last night because it says "for those times your birth control fails" well shit! I won't know until it's too late!
    Anonymous

• I have been on several. I don't recommend DepoProvera ( I was on it for almost 3 years) I read a lot of risks about becoming barren (no longer being able to have children). Also, after about 6-9 months on it, there is a pretty significant weight gain. All my friends on it gained between 20-30 pounds! (Mine was around the same!) Also, it messed with my estrogen levels to the point where a routine pap was so painful I cried out! My doctor gave me an estrogen cream to put up there (the tube to insert into the vagina was no bigger than one from monistat) even that was excruciating!

I did however LOVE NuvaRing! I have trouble remembering the pill so putting something in and forgetting about it for 3 weeks was amazing! I had no complications which I was worried about (no smell, no infections, etc) and for the most part it didn't interfere with sex. When it did I took it out and rinsed it and put it back in afterwards,
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I was on the pill(several diff types) and got pregnant twice. I just had our third and NO MORE FOR ME so I'm geting my tubes tied. I was on the Depo shot for a few months and DIDNT LIKE IT AT ALL .
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 10:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I am on the depo. I wont go back on the pills bcse both times i went on it i ended up pregnant so they obviously didnt work lol i want another baby on the future in like 9-10 yrs so i hope the depo doesnt affect me as of what i have heard that sometimes is hard to get pregnant after been on the depo.
    Anonymous

• My tubes are tied

Answer by admckenzie at 10:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I was on the nuva ring for a while and it was nice. i hated the shot.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 10:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2010