How effective is drinking caster oil?

Im 9 months pregnant. Im 2 1/2cm dilated, 40% effeced. Dr told me the baby can come at any day. I bought caster oil, but I want to know how many ppl have used it? How many ppl have had it work? Or not work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is not effect at all and it gives you the runs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• It's a wives tale... doesn't work at all
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• it worked for me. took it at 1pm, had my baby the next morning about 8am.
    It's disgusting though! I don't know if it was the pooping or the vomiting that worked. I don't recommend it. Just wait sweetie! you'll be better off. You also risk merconium (sp?) when you take the castor oil because anything you eat or drink baby gets, and seriously, you don't want baby pooping yet!
    Anonymous

• I tried it because my son decided to be VERY late. I was 4cm dilated with no other labor symptoms or contractions. I got severe cramping and diarrhea. It was NOT a fun way to spend the three weeks my husband was home from deployment.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Oh and I'll add, I did not go into labor using it. I still had to induce.
    Aqua_Jen

• I believe one study said it was something like 40% effective.
    It IS effective sometimes. But that doesn't mean it is worth it, or a good idea. :-(
    Avoiding this (and any unnecessary intervention...) is respectful of the baby.

If you could birth "any day" anyway, why add unnecessary risks, right?
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• sister tried it and it didnt work, i would just wait.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 10:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• very dangerous!
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 11:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My midwife gave it to me as a last resort before a hospital pitocin induction due to PROM. The abdominal cramps I had from that crap were worse than the contractions I was having in moderate labor! Plus, diarrhea & nausea... ugh, never again!! Oh, and it didn't do anything at all to help my labor... my contractions actually decreased in strength & frequency after I took it.

If you do decide to take it, please be careful. Due to the action of castor oil, it causes diarrhea & also vomiting in some women. When you are pregnant it is very easy to get dehydrated, which can harm both you and the baby.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i did it i drank 2 tsp with soda and when into labor 5 hours later
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010