How old was your baby when they started eating baby food?

Mine is 4 1/2 months old, I will mix 3 table spoons of baby fruit or vegetables in with her cereal.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 9:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 1/2 months and now he's eatting 2 2.5oz of food at a time he'll be 4 months in a few days
    Anonymous

• I started cereal mixed with two ounces of formula at 2 months
    melibear5715

Answer by melibear5715 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I started WAY too soon with my 1st 2 kids, 1st at around 4 months and 2nd around the same time....with my 3rd, after much reading and research on the topic, decided it was best for his health and development if I waited until around 8 months to start him on foods....and even after that it took him a while to get used to eatting.
    The above poster is right, foods before 1 year of age for essentially for practicing ALL a baby needs before the age and up to the age of 1 is breastmilk (preferrably) or formula.
    The above poster is also right that many doctors are not the best to ask for info on infant feeding and nutrition because they get VERY little education on it in medical school, its best to ask a certified nutritionist if you can, they will have better and more up to date information on the topic.
    You can also do a lot of your own research into the topic of delayed solids and all the many beneifts of doing it!
    Good luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• also OP, if you choose to do any research into the topic of infant feeding (which I hope you will do! ) please look into "open gut" research how your babys digestive system is so immature and underdeveloped and not ready for solid foods until a certain time....just google around, use OPEN GUT as a key word and see if anything comes up, its very interesting to learn about and something that most doctors definatly dont tell parents....they all seem to push solids WAY too soon, honestly, there really is no rush.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• as soon as they can hold their head up good..... usually around 3 months i start them on cereal and then at 4 months i start them on mashed veggies, then fruits. alot of people in america delay feedings, and the drs. encourage delaying it too. despite what the pps have said, most of the studies done about this subject have not supported delaying feeding. take peanuts for example. americans have a facination about not feeding their children peanuts until they are much older. did you know that 95% of peanut allergies are american children?? and the other 5% is the rest of the WORLD?? the only thing that you can't feed a baby is honey.... it has botulism spores and their immune system can't handle that yet

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• princessbeth79....do you have any research you can share that supports starting solids early? That shows health rediness and benefits for starting solids are early as 2 to 4 months? Do you have research that can support it being good for the child?

Im very interested in seeing it if you do!

THANKS!!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Both of my kids did not get solids until close to 9 months old.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Most babies I have known (including my husband & I) were experimenting with baby food by the time 4months came around. However, the majority of that was applesauce & cereal (my husband's mother started him on cereal at 4wks due to reflux - which is the earliest of all the babies I've heard). Babies do not NEED baby food until a year though, & honestly they do not need the cereals at all unless they have reflux problems, but even then there are formulas that help with that now. I plan on introducing the tastes of food at 4months (my son is 3months now) by dipping his binky in a few different stage one type foods (though most will be homemade). I will not feed him the food as a "meal" until around 8months just to start getting him ready for it when he's older. No matter what though, remember that milk is their main source of nutrition until one year (breast or formula - no cow's milk). & Avoid honey until 2yrs.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My first was 5 months. My second is now 9 months and has never cared for baby food; she pretty much went straight to table food.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2010